Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cooling system

80s

Country Flag
australia
hi, I am new to forums so I hope this works. I have an 80 series diesel since new (1991) has done over 500k. I recently had a new metal radiator installed to replace the old plastic one. The engine temp is now running very high ( 3/4 + on the gauge) previously it rarely got past 1/2. Any ideas please?

take it to a radiator works and get the system presure tested shouldnt cost you anything and they should be able to tell you what the problem is

Reactions: 80s
I would consider a new thermostat, assuming it’s the original from ‘91.

The gauges in the 80 are only indicative and the difference between 1/2 and 3/4 is small IMO and experience with mine.

Of course if it goes higher on load or towing, then is the time to be more concerned.

Are you losing any coolant?

I would consider a new thermostat, assuming it’s the original from ‘91.

The gauges in the 80 are only indicative and the difference between 1/2 and 3/4 is small IMO and experience with mine.

Of course if it goes higher on load or towing, then is the time to be more concerned.

Are you losing any coolant?

Hi Clive, not loosing any coolant and i know they replaced the thermo when the radiator was replaced. Could the thermo be faulty? And can I remove it?

If the problem started after the new rad and stat were fitted then it's either or both (unlikely) of these that's the problem. More likely to be the stat IMO and the easiest to remove for testing. Check that the stat is the correct one with the correct temp range.

I don’t suggest removing it, but it’s relatively cheap to replace, and one component ticked off the list of potential problems.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As above, for the work involved I would get yourself a genuine toyota thermostat for your vehicle and replace what's in there which may not be genuine. There's also the possibility that the rad being non OE is inferior but changing the stat should be first port of call IMO.

I run a stock rad and a genuine stat and have no problems in winter (-20C or summer +45C ...

Ok, first step, new thermostat. I hope it is just that. The old girl has not let me down in 26 years, I'm not going to give her the opportunity to do so now. Thanks for your collective help guys. Cheers

It almost sounds as though the new rad isn’t up to the cooling capacity of the original ...

The plastic tank burst on mine, but I replaced it with a genuine rad. A bit costly, but I’ve made the mistake of using aftermarket parts before, and I won’t be doing that again...

Back