Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cooper ST/C and STT - Field review

Philip A

Living in Africa for the past 20 years, I've had the opportunity to use most of the available 4x4 tyres over the years. BFG, Michelin, MRF, Pirelli, etc.

A couple of years ago, I installed Coopers on two of my cars. 35-40,000 km later, here are my findings...

Cooper ST/C, 245/75 - 16 (I'd had fitted a larger diameter, but they were not in stock in Kampala at the time).

Vehicle: Lancruiser HZJ77

Use: Safaris, 30% asphalt, 40% untarred roads/trails, 20% off-road

The vehicle is used for travels to the bush, spending most of its time driving heavily loaded on bad roads (typical loads, 550 to 700kg, often with a trailer attached for long legs), or driving through the bush in totally virgin country, again with heavy loads.

I have done close to 40,000 km on these tyres, and they are without questions the best all-round tyres I ever had. Cost at the time was slightly more than half that of BFGs, and I wouldn't swap them.

Cut/chip resistance: check the pictures below. These have done 20,000+ km on the worst untarred roads you can imagin, eating sharp stones and gravel at sustained speeds for hundreds of kilometers in a row, and driven off-road on all sorts of terrain. They've had a steady diet of full-size African thorns and sharp volcanic rocks, and from the look they will still serve another 10,000 km or so.

Cooper-STC-2.jpg

Cooper-STC-3.jpg

I've had half-a-dozen punctures in that time, and since they are mounted tubeless these have been non-events (full repair kit in the car, and the AC compressor has been rigged as a tyre compressor).

In general offroad conditions the grip is excellent, and in mud the grip is good. Good on asphalt and untarred roads too.

Conclusion: if you want a rugged, real All-Terrain tyre, that will last the distance, go for it!

Cooper STT, 235/85 - 16

Vehicle: Land Rover 127" Rapier

Use: Same as above, less mileage

Well... You can't always win. The STT are very good in the mud, and that's about it. They've worn out at an incredible rate, and I doubt if I'll get 15,000 km out of them. The famed "Extra-Hyper-Duper" sidewall has not proven any better than that of the ST/C, and the slight advantage in grip is irrelevant for general-purpose use.

Conclusion: if you like wallowing in mud and wet terrain, try them. If you want a tyre that is actually useful as an AT, look for something else.

Add a review on Cooper STTs

Have a set of 285/75r16 bought brand new to replace a set of part worn BFG MTs KM1s in the same size.

My thoughts on the coopers:

Wear rate- nowhere near as good as the BFGs- probably twice as fast.

Road handling- better than the BFG's by some margin- certainly quieter and were a bit easier to balance

Ice/Snow- on ice they handled a bit better- a softer tyre with some siping was always going to win here- in deep snow they weren't actually as good

Mud- Nowhere near as good as the BFGs- didn't clear as well or grip as well, and didn't find anything like the same levels of grip. This was most obvious when i did a "drive round day" on a largish site in the southwest- i had been out 2 weeks before in the BFGs and spent the day dragging people out of the mud. In the coopers i was pulled out from a number of places that the BFGs had just sauntered through. Grip would however more than suffice for laning and overlanding.

Sand/heat- surprisingly good in the sand- don't mind being aired right down. Seem to get a lot of abrasion on the rubber though. wouldn't worry about taking a pair through a lot of ergs.

Price- about 2/3s of the cost! so quite some saving. Think i paid £400 all in 18 months ago, whereas the equivalent BFGs would have been over £600.

So if you want a very offroad focussed mud tyre, then buy a BFG. If you want something which is more towards an A/T with better road handling and a cheaper initial price (although you will replace them more often), then buy the Coopers.

Personally wish i'd paid the extra for BFG M/Ts.

Back