Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cost to replace 2 x valves?

Jilli

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi there
Can anyone give me an indication of how many mechanic hours it would take to replace 2 valves? I had a break down in my '84 LC, and was towed to a garage. This was 3 months ago. I've asked for estimates, and was told my the mechanic (who's a nice guy) that it was 2 valves and the little collars? But the garage owner didn't give me an estimate, return my calls or tell me anything. Now I've called and gone in for around the 10th time, and they say they don't have an invoice as the owner is away, but it's going to cost me around $2,500+.
Also, with this work done, is it like a recondition? Should they have done all the valves? I really love my old Cruiser and want to keep her, but have paid heaps for repairs over the two years I've had her, including: clutch, slave cylinders, radiator, auto electrics. I'm a bit nervous as I live alone and quite rural, so need a reliable vehicle.
Thanks. Jilli

Attachments

• Me and Kids Picton.jpg
    Me and Kids Picton.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 187
Hi Jilli and welcome, nice 60 series you have there. Is it a petrol or diesel? Either way its just a straight 6 push rod engine ( very simple) and should just involve removing manifolds and removing head and examining. It may have involved machining, new parts and gaskets so its a bit difficult to say if its expensive depending on what's been added . Really you should have a proper invoice of all work done, parts at cost etc. In the UK i guess a head rebuild and re assembly at a good garage would be up to £1K drive in to drive out with parts renewed so I would say about on the money converted.
I hope this helps.

Hi Jilli, nice cruiser you've got there. As Andy has said, but if the head were to be removed as in this job, I personally would expect the whole head and valves to be inspected, cleaned reseated and generally reconditioned as you have suggested. It's simply no point not making the whole head as good as it can be before putting things back together. It's not a five minute job, but straightforward for a garage and you need that invoice, and some sort of guarantee from them. If you have any problems you need to be able to go back to them.

That looks to be a truck worth keeping and all vehicles need mechanical attention at some point. These Cruisers can be repaired. They will reward you for the work you do on them.

I would hope the garage fully recondition the head and use Toyota parts or at least the same OEM spec.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Best wishes

Richard

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. This is so helpful:)

Just out of interest - if I do decide to sell, what is a ball park value for my old girl? I guess it depends where you are in the world. She has around 265,000 on the clock, has been cavity waxed, has had heaps of work done, and is reasonably tidy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just out of interest - if I do decide to sell, what is a ball park value for my old girl? I guess it depends where you are in the world. She has around 265,000 on the clock, has been cavity waxed, has had heaps of work done, and is reasonably tidy.

Diesel or Gasoline?

I had to have head gasket replaced, head machined, and a couple of other small fixes here in the US on my 80 and it ran me close to $3k. I feel it was worth it.
2cb03b4433367e34adf2aa494c1a72fe.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Hi Jilli, welcome to the forum :thumbup:

As with the other comments above really.

Whats not clear to me is how they have narrowed the work to be done, down to 2 valves. Cylinder head faults are very difficult to diagnose with accuracy, and when removed, a detailed and accurate assessment can be made.

Most of the money quoted will be for Labour removing, cleaning and replacing the cylinder head. That is to say, it would be a shame to spend that money without going the extra mile of checking/replacing other components (as required) whilst the head is off the car, as you suggest, closer to reconditioning.

The truck looks a beaut, and I'm sure you'll be well attached to it. I would have thought 2-3 k $NZ would be well spent to keep her in good condition. Please don't be tempted to just keep driving it with leaking valves, if the head can be salvaged now, it may not be the case if you carry on driving with them leaking. It tends to burn the valve seatings in the body of the head, at which time the only repair may be a replacement head at extra cost.

Also, when not running correctly, even small repairs will hit the resale value hard, and it would be a shame to see your beloved truck go for a song when it can be properly repaired.

Just my thoughts, I run a 1995 HZJ80 and come hell and high water, I'll find the cash for repairs, irrespective of whether it's a good investment or not. :lol:

Just my thoughts, I run a 1995 HZJ80 and come hell and high water, I'll find the cash for repairs, irrespective of whether it's a good investment or not. :lol:
Thems my thoughts too Clive. :thumbup:

Hi Jilli,
The cost would seem fair if reconditioning the whole head IMO with good quality parts, with around 2/3 of the cost being labour. I sold my HJ61 in Queenstown for $4k in 2008 with similar KM's and condition - it was an auto which was less favoured than manual by the buyers.
Today I would expect at least double that. Have a look on trade me or ebay for the selling prices of similar trucks to yours.
Have you had any snow lately?

Back