Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cracking noise when using lock diff

Archie

Country Flag
latvia
Hi guys,

I tried turning lock diff on and there were cracking noises, is that normal? Had simillar noises when ibwas breaking on ice and the car was sliding.

Thnx

hi guys,

i tried turning lock diff on and there were cracking noises, is that normal? Had simillar noises when ibwas breaking on ice and the car was sliding.

Thnx

any one?

Which Diff lock Archie? What surface were you driving on? What speed? Straight or turning? Did you roll the window down and see if you could figure out where the cracking noise was coming from? Could it have been coming from the front wheel area?

These sorts of things help the guys on here help you out.

The answer to your question is No, it's not normal.

But then you thought that, didn't you. [emoji6]

Now you probably want to know why it's making that noise? Well, it could be all manner of things, but if it's coming from around the front wheel area then it could POSSIBLY be CV joints.

Was it a sort of grinding clicking noise?

Which Diff lock Archie? What surface were you driving on? What speed? Straight or turning? Did you roll the window down and see if you could figure out where the cracking noise was coming from? Could it have been coming from the front wheel area?

These sorts of things help the guys on here help you out.

The answer to your question is No, it's not normal.

But then you thought that, didn't you. [emoji6]

Now you probably want to know why it's making that noise? Well, it could be all manner of things, but if it's coming from around the front wheel area then it could POSSIBLY be CV joints.

Was it a sort of grinding clicking noise?

Hi, thank you for the reply.

I pressed the diff lock button above the gear changer near the heated seat controls.
Wheels were straight and i was on snow. The wheels eneded up spinning and then i could gear grinding / cracking noises. Not sure where the noise was coming from, just know it was underneath me.

Also that has happened when i turn the wheel while driving around the cordner, and if the car starts to slide or loses control you can here that noise again

Sounds like you need further investigation to see exactly where the noise is coming from. Someone useful walking next to the truck while it is doing it could help or listen when driving adjacent to a wall.

Best thing is to get it up on axle stands or a ramp but it may well not do it.

Possibles are CV joints, UJs or the transfer box could be in pieces inside (but still working) if it has been driven on Tarmac with the centre diff locked.

I'm not familiar with your truck so you need to establish which diff you have locked. I THINK but am not certain, that the button you describe is for the rear diff lock. I think that the centre diff gets locked when engaging low locked (LL).

Sounds like you need further investigation to see exactly where the noise is coming from. Someone useful walking next to the truck while it is doing it could help listen. If you have no one listening when driving adjacent to a wall can help.

Best thing is to get it up on axle stands or a ramp and have a look but it may well not make the noise like that.

Possible causes are CV joints, UJs or the transfer box could be in pieces inside (but still working) if it has been driven on Tarmac with the centre diff locked.

I'm not familiar with your truck so you need to establish which diff you have locked. I THINK but am not certain, that the button you describe is for the rear diff lock. I think that the centre diff gets locked when engaging low locked (LL).

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't know anything about the 120 but i am thinking there are different versions perhaps some with traction control and the like so maybe it might help to give the year of your truck .

The button being pushed is for the centre diff lock. you need some extra ears to locate the source of the noise then you can get a better diagnoses.

Thank you guys, yes it was central lock diff, i called toyota Apparently it is normal to make that noise as it is trying to find grip and the stavility control thing turns on.

Another question, is it tue you need to change the timing belt every 150000 km?

P. S i didnt say it right, not cracking noises but clicking noises. Sry

P. S i didnt say it right, not cracking noises but clicking noises. Sry

Could have saved a lot of time and head scratching that Arch……never mind eh!! I've learned something today anyway. [emoji51]

Sorry mate, i really didnt know. But thanks alot for all the help =)

No worries Archie, it's easy getting the wrong end of the stick on a forum. It's often good to give a description of a sound 'it's exactly like spinning a bucket with a handful of gravel in it' something like that. Better still (and you being new here might need to get your posts up to 15 before the forum will let you do it) take a video to try and record the sound. Best way is to give as much info as possible.

Anyway no harm done. Tell you what, there's an 'introduce yourself' section on here, pop over there and tell us a bit about you and more importantly your truck. [emoji4][emoji4] once you get to 15 posts you can post pictures and we all like to see them. We're a friendly bunch on here and like to know a bit about each other and their trucks and say Hi and Welcome to the forum. [emoji4]

No worries Archie, it's easy getting the wrong end of the stick on a forum. It's often good to give a description of a sound 'it's exactly like spinning a bucket with a handful of gravel in it' something like that. Better still (and you being new here might need to get your posts up to 15 before the forum will let you do it) take a video to try and record the sound. Best way is to give as much info as possible.

Anyway no harm done. Tell you what, there's an 'introduce yourself' section on here, pop over there and tell us a bit about you and more importantly your truck. [emoji4][emoji4] once you get to 15 posts you can post pictures and we all like to see them. We're a friendly bunch on here and like to know a bit about each other and their trucks and say Hi and Welcome to the forum. [emoji4]

Thank you for all the info, i definitely will do that =) much appreciated =))

Back