Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Crank noise, starting and switching the car off

lc27

Country Flag
uk
Hi gents.
A bit worry today. I started the car after quite a week or so.
The car always has a kind off time and does like 2 spin more after the engine is switched off.
This morning when I started the car had a kind of heavy crank noise like something is loose and hit the engine block, as soon as I accelerated the noise disappear and only hear it time to time very mild when stop at traffic lights nearly to disangage the clutch , but as soon as it is rev disappear.
then when I turn off the car you can hear it again quite badly...

I have done the obvious which is with the car stop rev the engine. No noise at all. The noise is mainly at start and stop In neutral.

I will need a friend to inspect the car at start/stop to see if I find something obvious, but it has been raining here the whole day so I will need to wait.

If somebody have any hint/suggestion let me know

Gents :oops: ! Nothing to worry about, moderator you can remove this post

why what was it? why the red face?, c'mon, you are with friends!
Steve

It was the central exhaust box that was loose due to the supports and rubber seals being corroded and worn. Hence the noise was only at start/end of the engine or when the car was stop in neutral. As soon as you rev the car, then the frequency increased as a consequence the noise disappeared.

Every time I was turning the engine on and off, the inertia was moving the exhaust pipe banging it against the chassis metal at rear. Hence the noise. But it really felt it was on the engine rather on the back of the car, hence the red face.

i discovered an solved one week ago when I put a bit more effort to track the noise.

cheers
m

Last edited:
Glad you solved it - noises travel in a car / truck , thats what makes identifying them such hard work sometimes. No need for a red face!

I've been plagued with a light 'clonk' from the front nearside of my 80, soinds just like some sort of suspension noise. I thought I had found it the other day when I noticed the bonnet had an up and down wobble, so I closed the bonnet down on a piece of foam rubber and the first drive, no clonk, but today it returned on my drive down to Julian V.
While underneath welding an exhaust bracket Martin, Julians mechanic found a small rock (not sure exactly where he found it) which was probably the cause because the drive home was clonk free. Result! :dance:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've been plagued with a light 'clonk' from the front nearside of my 80, soinds just like some sort of suspension noise. I thought I had found it the other day when I noticed the bonnet had an up and down wobble, so I closed the bonnet down on a piece of foam rubber and the first drive, no clonk, but today it returned on my drive down to Julian V.
While underneath welding an exhaust bracket Martin, Julians mechanic found a small rock (not sure exactly where he found it) which was probably the cause because the drive home was clonk free. Result! :dance:

I've got an annoying 'random' clunk from what sounds like the front suspension.

Service have replaced the castor correction bushes and the LHS sway bar axle bushes, but it's still there, should I be looking for a rock?

Question, the sway bar (or anti-roll bar) links to the chassis appear to be ball joints at the chassis ends. Has anyone had play there? Service always pays attention to the axle end bushes, but seem to ignore the other end of the links to the chassis.

I've got an annoying 'random' clunk from what sounds like the front suspension.

Service have replaced the castor correction bushes and the LHS sway bar axle bushes, but it's still there, should I be looking for a rock?

Question, the sway bar (or anti-roll bar) links to the chassis appear to be ball joints at the chassis ends. Has anyone had play there? Service always pays attention to the axle end bushes, but seem to ignore the other end of the links to the chassis.

I have one of these as well ... sounding like it's in the drive train. I was hoping a front axle rebuild would cure .. or at least find the issue. But still looking here too. Hopefully we both have little rocks hidden somewhere ... but I'm not quite that hopeful!

I have one of these as well ... sounding like it's in the drive train. I was hoping a front axle rebuild would cure .. or at least find the issue. But still looking here too. Hopefully we both have little rocks hidden somewhere ... but I'm not quite that hopeful!

Sorry for the hi-jack Lc27, but I'm not too hopeful either!

Sometimes it happens mounting a kerb or a rock offroad, other times it happens when I brake. Steering one way or another has also made it happen, other times I can do what I want and it doesn't happen :icon-evil:. Very annoying. My wife insists on saying "what's that?" every​ time... AAAARGH!

Last edited:
Back