Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cutting a hole in the bonnet!!

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Everybody have any experience on whether it’s ok to cut a hole in the bonnet through the supports underneath and wether it made any difference???
Not a big one, like the mark below???
040C2780-623E-4775-BC95-F813B18D382B.jpeg

Well, plenty of people cut a big hole there for a intercooler scoop. So shouldn't be a problem unless you have a habit of doing the river dance on it.

As stated, plenty of 80's about with sections of bonnet missing but, as long as you know the mechanism that allows the bonnet to fold in an accident may be affected I see no problem.

Regards

Dave

I used a cutting disc on a 4in grinder to do mine, went thru it like butter. Put drop cloths over your windscreen and engine to catch the metal particles or they will score your windshield and create rust spots

Makes no difference , i took the bonnet off to cut the hole in mine and the plastic scoop was unaffected when this happened

upload_2017-11-2_10-34-59.jpeg

Had mine cut for a Trooper scoop. Only cut a small hole thus keeping most of the bonnet / hood struts braces intact. Had no issues and would recommend taking the hood bonnet off the vehicle for ease and safety.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Depends where the cuts are made, whether detrimental or not. Cutting in the middle of a strut will have more affect on the folding mechanism and overall strength. Looking at @Shayne bonnet, the fold in the middle had started to form, and if the hit had been harder then no doubt the fold would have continued in the correct manner.

Regards

Dave

Just remembered as Dave reminded me had to respray my Bonnet / hood again because cutting in caused flexing and the paint was affected. Something of a surprise.

Thanks for the advice, going to add a bonnet scoop, for no other reason than I like the look of it!!
Truck is in with the body shop to fix rust so might get this done at the same time!!!

If you are going to fit a scoop mainly for the looks why not cut the hole between the supports then if it is not the same size as the scoop it won't be seen anyway but will still allow air to get through.

If its not going to feed an intercooler just block the scoop vent and bolt it on .

Back