Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash Panel Removal on Later Models

Mblinko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Anyone got any tips for removing the panel surrounding the radio. I've searched and googled and can find lots on early models but not much on a 1995 and later. I'm guessing there's a couple of screws behind the fag tray. Are there any more and does it just pull off. Really don't want to go at this blind as I'll likely break something.

Pull out the little receptacle above the radio carefully. Remove the screws you find there. Then carefully unclip the surround. If you don't have a dash trim removal tool set them get one on eBay for about £2. Makes life lots easier.

Unclip the switches as you go - either the connectors or the switch pushed out the surround and then the connectors.

Just go easy - that stuff is brittle now

Use a warm air gun to just make the plastic a little less brittle. Don't melt it, just warm it to stop it cracking. There are little screws all round it.

My early dash cracked as well, very very brittle now, Karl is sending me one out..........soon.

regards

Dave

I removed the surround from my 1995 for the first time the other day; was actually pretty straight forward. As Gary said: remove the little receptacle above the radio - there are two little clips on the top underside of the receptacle that need gently pulling down whilst you tease the receptacle out. It should just slide straight out once you've sorted the clips. There should be a couple of screws behind that. Then if you pop out the ashtray underneath the radio there should be another couple of screws there. Once you've done that it's just a matter of carefully unclipping the surround using a dash trim removal tool. Hopefully you won't find the wiring mess I found behind mine behind yours!

Putting it back is what I've found to be slightly more challenging... Particularly as I think I just lost one of the stereo screws down the open gear box!

An yes the ashtray. Thought I'd forgotten something.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks for all the replies everyone. Managed to get the little cubby and facia surround off without damage using a special tool...... a cake slice - just haven't told my good lady :icon-biggrin:

Now, I think I need to have some coffee and cake to figure out how to convert the Toyota wiring to standard DIN - has anyone got any useful diagrams or tips having done it before.

When I did mine I cut the plug off the loom and soldered on the DIN plug that came with the new radio but you may be able to buy a short conversion tail now that just plugs in both ends. Failing that just do what I did and identify the individual wires with a multimeter.

Something similar to this maybe http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-16...257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a60cd9261 Halfords sell them also.

Halfords used to sell a conversion bit. ... but not sure if they do now though

So in the end I just googled and found this....

image.jpg

And this ......

image.jpg

And did exactly as you tow pack, cut the Toyota wires and soldered on the radio loom.

I really do do hope these are up the right way. I've got previous for cocking it up :icon-rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back