Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

'Deliverance' type Squeal!!

Bodie

Country Flag
great_britain
Deliverance' type Squeal!! (For those old enough to remember!)

Truck's developed a squeal on one of the belts, but difficult to pin point which one??

So wondering if there's a common suspect and whether a splash of WD40 (or similar) will do the trick?

Last edited:
Alternator belts would be my bet. Yeah spray some wd or fairy liquid on each of them. Will likely only momentarily fix but should confirm. Replace alternator belts as a pair ideally. May only be loose also.

Mine did this the other day after a few mins from cold pulling away under load. It’s not the timing belt and you can turn the air con on and off so do that first to rule out. That just leaves the two parallel aux belts. One of mine has more give than the other when you press on it so suspect it’s that. Both should be tight

I had worse than that. In heavy rush hour on the motorway with loaded trailer on the back when smoke started coming through the bulkhead. Turned everything off and smoke went away. Naughty Frank.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had the same issue a while ago, it was one of the two parallel aux belts on its way out.

Toyota actually sell a 'matched pair' for alternator/water pump, and there is something I have come across so many times.

If the lower bolt that supports the alternator has been left even slightly loose it makes the rear mounting hole on the alternator (aluminium) elongated, if left long enough then the rear hole of bracket (cast iron) bolted to engine also suffers the same fate. The result is that as the alternator belts are tightened the alternator actually turns inwards at the pulley end, the belt nearest the radiator will be looser than the one nearer the engine. So at no point even if using a matched pair will the belt tension be correct on both belts.

Regards

Dave

I don't think there is such a thing as "matched pair". If there is, it means nothing. Belts are so accurately made these days that two of the same part number will be adequate. I changed my belts not long ago and the front one was looser than the rear one. Changing them over made no difference but they quickly bedded in and quickly became the same tension under correct adjustment. No loose or out of alignment pulleys.

Also if you replace the belts with Toyota oem, they are twice the thickness of the equivalent companies that provide them..

I once bought a pair of gates replacement belts and was shocked how they were only just thicker than the worn out oem ones! What a rip off!!

I don't think there is such a thing as "matched pair".
Hi Frank.

Yes, there is.
Although it may not make a huge difference and you can get lucky.
V Belts are made in a continuous tube and parted off. The Tube varies in diameter as it being made.
Matched Belts are selected within a certain distance on the Tube, if that makes sense.
They are marked with a serial number and should be within a few numbers apart.
Herewith ends my V Belt lesson :)
Please don't ask the shelf life of a v belt, that's a whole different can of worms :)

Regards

Back