Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff gasket or RTV or other?

Rob

Garage
I refitted the front diff in September last year and it has sprung a leak around the axle casing in 2 places. I used this stuff: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-57680-200ml-Gasket-Maker/dp/B000Y8U9OK bought it a few years back and I still have not run out of the stuff only because it was the only stuff I could get my hands on on the day I needed it.

So should I use the RTV again or gasket from Mr. T? I also have some loctite 518 which I have used on my volvo sump as it was not stamped and partially structural so this may be better than the RTV I have. Any ideas?

Looking through the Loctite guide, should I go for 5910 or similar instead?

Well I have done my fair share of front diffs Rob and traditionally I have used the paper Milner gaskets. I like the idea of a gasket that takes up any minor imperfections in the mating face. But, the paper comes incredibly close to the crown wheel in one location and it's possible to get a rip and a small leak. Now this is at the top of the casing so it's only a splash feed, but a leak nonetheless.

This last time I went with the same RTV as you showed in your link and it worked perfectly. I left for a while before putting the oil in so that it could set.

Chris

How many miles do you do between diff swaps Chris? Mine was fine with that RTV for about 5000 miles before it started to leak.

I always just use normal silicon sealant.

Always have and have never had a leak. :icon-biggrin:

It's very important that all traces of old gasket or sealant is removed and the surfaces are de-greased. Wynns or Wurth or any reputable RTV sealant will do the job.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think you may be onto it Roger. The diff has some oil in it from the rebuild, and I would not be surprised if some of it dripped out onto the mating face when trying to wrestle it into position. That is why I am thinking the paper gasket should be a better idea as it should still seal even if there is some oil on it.

Last edited:
I think you may be onto it Roger. The diff has some oil in it from the rebuild, and I would not be surprised if some of it dripped out onto the matting face when trying to wrestle it into position. That is why I am thinking the paper gasket should be a better idea as it should still seal even if there is some oil on it.

If the surfaces are clean and dry and the RTV is fresh ie not lumpy with age, then yes, it is at least as good, if not better than a paper gasket. If I do use a paper gasket, then I plaster both sides with grease until it has soaked into the paper. Wipe of the excess and fit.

Cleanliness and attention to detail is vital.

Roger

Back