Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

diff lock abuse?

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
after owning the 120 series for 11 years and the 80 series for 3 years, i've just read in the owners manual that states 'do not exceed 5mph with diff lock engaged'

i'm been hammering both cars up steep,difficult,long sometimes fast hill climbs with diff locks in,
definitely way over 5mph,is that diff lock abuse?

so should you only hammer a hill climb with the centre diff lock engaged?

cheers

The 5mph limit referred to in the 80 series owners manual applies to the F+R difflocks.
With regards to the L ratio and CDL use it also states..” Use this for maximum power and traction when you experience a loss of power, such as wheel slipping or hard pulling in the H position”
The type of surface your on will be the main factor dictating how much strain the trans and locks are subject to. On a loose/slippy surface I can’t see it being a problem with all locks in personally.

I do 40mph plus on snow with the cdl engaged.
Front and rear is a different matter, I imagine the 5mph speed restriction is a safety thing rather than damage prevention.
Driving at speed fully locked is like driving a shopping trolley..

Yes I would think the speed limit is for safety to stop you going straight on at speed on a slippery bend especially with front DL engaged.

It's just a gear cog so once its engaged speed makes no different even on dry tarmac if you drive in a perfectly straight line . But when you steer wheels must move at different speeds and they can't with the diff locked hence opposing forces double/treble whatever the stress on the cog .

On loose ground wheels can slip hopefully before the pressure on the cog exceeds its strength .

i get the safety thing,i've started to hit the fast difficult climbs without the front diff/lock engaged,only CDL and rear diff/lock on
less traction but more control

one time at a 4x4 meet i wheelied on a climb,came off the trail and got stuck up a tree for a while
front diff/lock engaged...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Front diff lock can be lethal in terms of steering, or rather lack of, when engaged.

Last weekend I got the 80 stuck on a slippery uphill slope, it was steep and narrow (the bit by the rock on scratchy lane for those that have visited) and I really didn’t fancy reversing down it.

I winched twice which gained some progress, but muggins managed to jam the winch winding on only one end of the drum, and snapped the casing at the tie rod spanning the 2 sides of the body of the Superwinch :icon-rolleyes:

So we dug, and pushed, and spun wheels, and reversed, and ran at it, all sorts, all locked up, but the top 6” of soil was frozen, so it was mighty difficult to get any grip.

But when she did grip, and I took off, there was no way I was going to stop, and I ploughed off on a tangent to the right :lol:

It was safe enough, only small trees and some bushes. Left would have been a different story :?

My crew of 5 were having a good laugh though, seeing the truck going off like a scalded cat.:lol: But again, I proved the 80 unstoppable, it was paused, but not stopped. :lol:

Im convinced the speed limits are for safety reasons, I’m with Shayne on the mechanics of the lockers.

was on a 4x4 rallye on sat,on the most difficult climb i hit it fast with all lockers in
lurched to the right half way up and demolished 2 cork trees
then got stuck in a rut and stalled,got up evevntually...

with hindsight i should have hit it slower with no front locker,i'm sure i would have made it alot prettier

on the plus side we planted a couple of trees later
so that's 2-2

Hindsight = experience so it's all good , it would be nice to see some photo's of your off road adventures :thumbup:

Back