Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

DISCO 4 - Interesting reading

It's a shame really.
The Disco 3 and the Disco 4 look very very good outside, and also very good inside.
The diesel V6 is very smooth.
And give them their due, they have good road presence.
I had 2 Land Rovers, and both were disasters, and I swore never again.
But the D3 and the D4, would be ideal machines, if they only had half the reliability as a Land Cruiser.
To be fair, the D4 is looking like it could be a winner for green oval, so far, it is the best one they have prduced.
Damn, why can't they just get the general reliability up to scratch.

Gra.

We bought a D4 in March 2010, HSE with a few extras.

It hasnt let us down at all in almost 2 years, its great to drive and seats 6 in proper seats.

More than happy with it.

May swap it in March when its 2 years old - dealer has offered £6000 less than I paid for it.

Wont get another as it is now too big, probably get another Volvo, XC70.

Our previous XC90 had 3 new wheel bearings almost immediately after purchase and the drivers door panel kept coming off, but a great car nonetheless.

Defnitely would not buy a 1996 Discovery, but will buy a 1996 Prado.

Pete

Have to say, I have no real axe to grind with LR. BUT, when I bought by LC120 in March '09 I had heard too many seriously scary storys about Discos and it was enough to put me right off. My bro has just sold a Disco 4 (the 2.7 twin turbo job) and, other than eating tyres and needing a sound system amp replacement when it was a few weeks old, it never missed a beat in about 3 years. He has five children (the two oldest boys are now over 6'3") and they all fit in it. On his way home at Christmas (he lives in south of France), he collected en route, a brand new replacement. So maybe he is one of the lucky ones but it can't be denied that there are sufficient complaints out there to make one wonder. I like the look if the current Disco range, they are comfy and they are hugely capably family cars and they've even sourced a reasonable engine, even if it has Peugeot origins. Would I buy one? In a word, no. Give it a few years and let's see what Mr Tata does. It might be good it might still be bad/ worse.
Give me a LC150 LC5 and I'll be happy enough. Especially when Toyo eventually cop on a put a proper worthy engine in it and ditch the current gutless bag of bolts. Whenever that is.

Back