Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do people sound distorted when you are in convoy?

Trevor

Country Flag
england
A little bugbear of mine when using CB's whilst laning is the fact that a group of vehicles travelling very close together can not always sound very clear. Most of us possibly never stop to think about changing the transmit power of our rig to the low setting.

The old CB 27/81 sets usually have a Hi and Lo power switch, either on the front panel or on the rear of the set, most of us travel in close convoy with our transmit power set to Hi which is great if we want to send our signal as far as the antenna and terrain will allow.

Unfortunately, the receiver part of the CB does not cope well with very strong signals close by and this can lead to the audio we hear becoming quite distorted, it's a bit like someone next to you wanting to say something but using a megaphone right in your ear, you can hear whats being said but it's bloody annoying. (It's very rare but you can actually do permanent damage to the receiver section to a CB by doing this)

Don't you just hate it when you're in convoy and the bloke behind drives too close?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

C

Is that when one asks for a Rubber, Duckie? :lol:

Most of the time it sounds like everyone is running on the low power setting and you have trouble hearing them when they get a few car lengths away :lol: I can't think of a time when the radio has been overwhelmed by too strong a signal on CB!

I often found that if one person in the convoy had a crap aerial, it could act as a stopper to the signal. If I was at position "A" in the convoy and he was at "B", he could hear my signal, but car "C" and the rest couldn't.

Roger

My el cheapo CB does not have a high low switch, at least not one I have found :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back