Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do you know what this part is and what it does?

warrenpfo

Does anyone know what the highlighted part does?

I want to move its location on the fender and am not sure if it needs to sit in the same orientation ie vertically or not. It looks allot like a metal inline fuel filter but don't think it is.

9912513434_03498d78b4_z.jpg

Last edited:
This is just a guess, but you can put a similar looking and termed thing onto a domestic water system to stop hammer and over pressure when a tap is turned of. They are of particular use on a pumped system when the pump may run on a tad after the tap is turned off. The damper just takes up the over run via a diaphragm and an air gap. I'm guessing this is a similar thing to take up the overrun of the fuel pump when the engine is turned off, maybe :shifty: :think:

Thanks chaps, can I move it or does it rely on gravity? can mount it horizontally?

The damper is reducing the vibration/noise from the injection pump, on the return-fuel-pipe going back to the tank.
I think it has to stand upright, but don't know for sure. But why else would it have a bracket made like that?

My guess would be it regulates pressure by opening a valve allowing gravity to do the rest . Surely you wouldn't save much room by mounting it sideways anyway ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am fabbing up a battery, compressor and tank tray and need all the space I can get. It sticks up above the tray so wanted to mount it horizontally but may have to just add a tab so that I can bolt it on vertically.

The vertical orientation is probably to allow the unit to self bleed. If possible, try bolting it on it's side with some form of jury rig. If everything still works as it should, go ahead and fix in new position. If you need to remove hose to fit longer/shorter one, then you will need to jury rig again in vertical mode to self bleed. I don't know how long this will take but a short drive and a few hours should do the job. After that you can fit properly in new position. Monitor for a few days to see that everything is as normal.

Roger

If i understand it correctly , and i probably don't because i only skimmed through that link i posted for about 10 seconds , I think the valve regulates pressure at the injectors to compensate for the different kinds of fuel we use , some i assume are denser than others . So if you fit it sideways and it doesn't work you won't know anyway and you won't have any problems until the injectors themselves die as a result of too much fuel pressure .

It's a safety valve protecting your fuel injection system .

It's only a vibration damper, according to "the book".

Fuel Damper.jpg

Back