Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Does anyone use these?

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
I lost a tyre valve once, in the early days of using muddy forest roads. It was not a very convenient thing to happen. :thumbdown:

I think it was a tree branch (cut by the forresters) which ripped the valve stem clean off the rim.

Since then I've been using these, which are neat. The only downside is carrying the extension for inflation/deflation, but once got used to, it's OK (for me).
[attachment=0:1r52r3pe]flush tyre valve.jpg[/attachment:1r52r3pe]
Does anyone use them or have pro's and con's to share?

Attachments

• flush tyre valve.jpg
    flush tyre valve.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 404
Stops the kid's nickin' the valve caps ! :thumbup:

Gra.

What are they called and where does one acquire such esteemed items of functional bling?

Well guys, you've got me a bit trapped there. :roll: :oops:

I don't know what there called officially and where to get in the UK is anyones business. They were off the shelf in my local tyre centre, sold on a card (that I've thrown away) and cost the equivalent of 16 quid for 5.

The nice thing is that they have a screw-together body either side of the rim with a rubber seal (so not reliant on the 'grommit' effect of a standard valve. The valve part is the same as any other but recessed inside the wheel instead of outside.

There's a 40mm removable threaded metal stem that you attach to inflate and deflate and a nice hex-key dust/crud screw-in cover with an o-ring type seal. Nothing protruding to get ripped off and yes Gra, no valve caps for the kids to lift.

I'll try to find out who makes them... :think:

I found these which are similar...

http://www.richbrook-styling.co.uk/wheel-valve-caps-valves-tyre-pressure-gauge/flush-fit/80

These have a slotted dust cover instead of the hex key type. I have a set similar and the covers were aluminium. This made for two problems:

(i) the alu corroded which meant that the whole body tried to turn when unscrewing; and
(ii) the screwdriver slot became easily damaged, whereas the hex key type is much more positive.

I'll keep searching. :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just googled 'internal tyre valves' but nothing useful came up. :thumbdown:

Also found that these stock something similar...

Elite Direct.Com Ltd
136/138 New Road
Rainham
Essex
RM13 8DE

<elitedirect.com>

Cossack said:
Just googled 'internal tyre valves' but nothing useful came up. :thumbdown:

I googled "flush valves" and got all sorts of useful info about toilets :obscene-tolietcrapper: :obscene-tolietclaw: :lol:

People using these, have you found any issues with dirt building up in the valve stopping you screwing in the extension??

Personally no. The "cap" uses the same internal thread that the "temp" valve stem uses so when you unscrew the cap the thread is cleaned from the inside out. There's also a good "o" ring on the cap to sweep the thread clean and keep out water/mud/grit.

IMO there's less chance of dirt getting into the valve than a traditional rubber stem type, especially if your valve caps have been nicked by the local kids... like Gra's. All sorts gets in there then.

:thumbup:

After pberry's unfortunate valve stem incident on Salisbury plain, I thought this old thread may be interesting to some.

The removable metal stem may seem a faff to new users, but after I got used to them, they're not a problem, just keep one handy in the on-board toolbox along with the hex-key.

Looks like its 3 sets of 4 divided between 2 people that gives you enough for 5 wheels and one spare.

Perhaps a group buy??

I like those. Never lost a stem, but I carry spare valve stems, the insertion tool and tyre levers. So I am probably covered. Clever looking things though.

Last edited:
Back