Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Draining the 80 cooling system

frank rabbets

Guru
I thought it was time to change the coolant in the 80 after 22 years so read the handbook to find out the quantity needed. That is 11 litres but when I drained it from the bottom hose only 7 litres came out. Is 11 litres correct ?

I've filled it with cold water twice and taken it for runs to get the remainder diluted but it's a fag having to wait for the engine to cool down each time before refilling.

Have you set the heater to hot, maybe a load hiding in the heater system, just done mine and it was more than 7 litres but not quite sure how much

There's a drain cock on the block too

Theres the hard to find drain bolt on the block, left of the oil pump.

Hi Frank. I pull the bottom Rad hose off. This drains most of the coolant without me having to use the awkward block drain. Don't do that on your drive though! Coolant goes everywhere.

Eeek! Sorry Frank, I really should pay more attention. You already said that you drained via the bottom hose:flushed:.

Where I park my 80 to drain the coolant the ground slopes so the car is tilted with the bottom hose lower. Perhaps that is why I manage to drain more?

Last edited:
Im surprised a man of your calibre frank has left it 22 years?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
turn your engine on and pump it out for 30 seconds. Won't make a mess at all :)

The expansion bottle takes 1 litre up to the "FULL" mark. Fairly clear water after 2 flushes. Added 5.5 litres in total and topped up with water so presumably I have 50% dilution.

Come on frank, do it properly. Find the hard to find block drain cock. Use a coolant flush, flush and back flush. Mix 50/50 toyota red in a clean container and fill accordingly.
You only do it once every 22 years!

using distilled water of course..

Last edited:
I put about 12 litres in mine. I pre mix before it goes in too.

I got a 20L barrel from toyota, it got a 2nd change at the time too.

Hi Frank,

Changed mine recently after a heater matrix and engine radiator replacement.
Pressure tested with water then flushed out adding around 7 liters to include the expansion tank. Driven a little now so far there's been no need to add anymore.

All done now including a sparkling, clean expansion tank. Tried soaking it in acid then caustic soda but could not remove the black film in the bottom. Overnight soak in bleach dissolved it.

I put a hand full of clean pea gravel in mine with soapy water and gave it a good shake, cleaned it up in no time.

Back