Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driver's seatbelt not retracting

kzj90nz

Anyone have a fix for saggy seatbelts?

I'm finding that I'm regularly closing my driver's door and looking back to see my seatbelt hanging out the bottom of the door.

New belts from Toyota are expensive!

Is it possible to pull the old belts out and clean the retracting mechanism?

How do you go about it on the LC90?

Tried everything removed the strap soaked it in vanish , tried to rewind the spring , hit it with a BFH and it was all a waste of time . Cleaning did improve things a little but it was hardly worth it . In the end i bought new from Toyota and remember being somewhat surprised in a good way about the price , i can't remember now but i'm pretty sure driver and passenger side cost less than 300 quid . New ones are shit to but they do retract .

They are plugged in by the way and contain a small explosive charge of some sort so if you decide to remove them disconnect your battery and leave a brick on the brake pedal while you have a cuppa and let any residue charge drain before you start .

Last edited:
I have the same issue with all the belts on my 120, real pain in the arse. Scared to ask Toyota for a price :icon-cry:

Has anyone tried winding the belt on another turn (I don't think this is possible with the buckles getting in the way) or tried another turn of the Spring? I believe there is usually adjustment but haven't a clue on those. My 80 is sluggish to retract. It may be that there is dried out grease in with the spring. Every now and then when wearing mine it gives a sort of farting noise from the retracting reel. Always has done.

Last edited:
I had this problem a few years ago and extended them fully and (wipe) cleaned them really well with hot soapy water. Then let them air dry and sprayed them with Holts Rubber and Nylon lubricant spray (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holts-150ml-Rubber-Nylon-Lubricant/dp/B00518H8Z6). I didn't remove any of the mechanisms.

This has worked well for the last few years, once I did mine they weren't like "new" but they all did retract. Like I said a few years ago now and probably needs doing again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Has anyone tried winding the belt on another turn (I don't think this is possible with the buckles getting in the way) or tried another turn of the Spring? I believe there is usually adjustment but haven't a clue on those. My 80 is sluggish to retract. It may be that there is dried out grease in with the spring. Every now and then when wearing mine it gives a sort of farting noise from the retracting reel. Always has done.

I had mine on the kitchen table all day trying this and trying that and nothing helped . I couldn't get it and further apart because it is riveted and i didn't fancy welding it back together whilst knowing it had compressed gas of some kind in the unit . I even considered cutting the belt to make it shorter but test showed that wouldn't help . Soaked the spring in wd40 which made no difference . Had i known new units were as feeble as they proved to be i would have found something non Toyota to replace them with instead .

Back