Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driving to Australia

when i said a month or 2, that was just a rough time scale. im happy for it too take longer. :thumbup:

i wouldnt want to just be driving flat out the whole trip, and not have time to stop and explore along the way and to experience different cultures and places. :cool:

i know driving all that way and through all those countries is going to take a lot of planning, and the fuel costs will be high, but i think it will be worth it for what would be the trip of a life time, and something not many people will do.

i will at some point want to ship over all my possessions and in particular all my tools, but id be happy to wait a few years until doing this, as id quite like the freedom to travel around and work in some of the more remote areas, for a few years. from what ive heard theres good money to be earned in some of the remote places in OZ, in particular in the mining areas. :D

Apparently other overlanders have driven from the UK to Bangladesh/India and then shipped the vehicle to Thailand. Depending on costs that has the potential to be a good option :think:

Lorin said:
Apparently other overlanders have driven from the UK to Bangladesh/India and then shipped the vehicle to Thailand. Depending on costs that has the potential to be a good option :think:

that sounds like a good option. :thumbup:

thanks for the links, will have a good read tonight. :)

By way of an update, shipping from India to either SE Asia or Oz is from Chennai. The route into SE Asia is to ship to Kuala Lumpur. From there options would be to either drive North into Thailand or South to Singapore, Indonesia etc. Despite it being mentioned I haven't managed to find any info about shipping from Bangladesh.

Shipping options to Oz from SE Asia are numerous - Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Jakarta and Dili (East Timor) are all possible. I have emailed a number of shipping agents for some quotes in terms of India to Kuala Lumpur or Oz, and SE Asia to Oz. I will post the results as soon as I hear back. :thumbup:

ben said:
...from what ive heard theres good money to be earned in some of the remote places in OZ, in particular in the mining areas. :D

Yep defn' true. A friend & colleague of mine moved out to Perth around 7 ish years ago.
He now works for large mining company earning good money (I can put you in touch as and when you're interested...)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lorin said:
By way of an update, shipping from India to either SE Asia or Oz is from Chennai. The route into SE Asia is to ship to Kuala Lumpur. From there options would be to either drive North into Thailand or South to Singapore, Indonesia etc. Despite it being mentioned I haven't managed to find any info about shipping from Bangladesh.

Shipping options to Oz from SE Asia are numerous - Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Jakarta and Dili (East Timor) are all possible. I have emailed a number of shipping agents for some quotes in terms of India to Kuala Lumpur or Oz, and SE Asia to Oz. I will post the results as soon as I hear back. :thumbup:

great work, thanks mate. :thumbup:

Justin_Elliott said:
ben said:
...from what ive heard theres good money to be earned in some of the remote places in OZ, in particular in the mining areas. :D

Yep defn' true. A friend & colleague of mine moved out to Perth around 7 ish years ago.
He now works for large mining company earning good money (I can put you in touch as and when you're interested...)

that would be great, thank you. :thumbup:

Lorin said:

hi mate, sorry to hear about your expensive mot. :thumbdown:

did any of the shipping companies get back to you with a quote? :)

ben said:
hi mate, sorry to hear about your expensive mot. :thumbdown:

did any of the shipping companies get back to you with a quote? :)

I've heard back from a couple so far but both just asked for more info (truck dimensions etc) and have yet to reply again. I emailed about 10 but a few of the emails have bounced back as undeliverable. I think some of the emails were old as I got the details from shipping reports on the Hubb. As soon as I hear, I will post up the results.

I've also been looking into what the options would be for some more adventurous driving on route. I don't know what you would want to do so it could either be done on the way down or the way back or missed out entirely, but always good to have the option I reckon. The Himalayas look like the best option so far. I'm trying to track down more information about this trip which helpfully gives the route at the bottom http://kunzum.com/2010/01/20/the-great- ... anuary-29/ I've emailed the author.

great, thanks. :thumbup:

adventurous driving sounds good to me. :twisted:

Back