Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dual Batteries

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I have read quite a few of the threads on here with regards to batteries, dual batteries, split chargers etc, but I am still a bit confused.... OK I agree it does not take much :shifty:

Ok, so LB has 3 batteries, originally it would only have come with one larger battery around 90Ah job. Chris then installed a second slightly smaller battery in the engine bay with a IBS split charging system. Finally the 3rd battery is a "leisure" battery which has a smaller black box which controls the charging of it (I believe is a caravan trickle charging system).

The issue I am having is that the main battery is slowly going flat, does not seem to be either holding a charge, or perhaps not charging properly. I got a spotty oik at Halfrauds to test the two batteries in the engine bay, and effectively the main is knackered and the other is most likely knackered too (he could not see the CCA rating of the batteries so had to guess the size).

I replaced the main battery about 6 months ago with a second hand one (which was relatively new) which seemed to work fine but as said above it is degrading.... I have also replaced the brushed on the alternator last year some time.

Ok. so the main battery after standing for a while shows around 12.2V and the second about 12.6V. Once started the voltage across the batteries which the IBS links is about 14V, so I think the alternator is fine.

Ok so I think that I need to replace the batteries, as I think with all the winching I have done it has taken it's toll. So here is my question which is more battery related than anything else. If I replace both batteries, do I need to replace them with matching ones? I have read the post on here which explains that they should be the same, but bearing in mind that the IBS system is between the batteries, does this still hold true. If I do need to replace them, the 90's that came with two batteries have smaller 70Ah versions in them as opposed to the 90Ah that would have come originally in my 90. The issue is that that 70Ah jobs cost around £70 each and the 90Ah about £140 from Toyota?

Thoughts please? Oh and Chris, not bothering you this time as I know you have a lot on at the mo.....

Back