Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dual Battery System

Mark Chapman

Country Flag
united_states
Many members have added dual battery systems to deal with the increase electrical needs of a winch, fridge, solar, multiple charging ports and/or other.

I am considering doing the same and there are a number of kits available making my choice confusing.

In your opinion what is the best dual battery kit on the market and why? Or is their some hybrid system of various suppliers that is better and what is it composed of?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Many members have added dual battery systems to deal with the increase electrical needs of a winch, fridge, solar, multiple charging ports and/or other.

I am considering doing the same and there are a number of kits available making my choice confusing.

In your opinion what is the best dual battery kit on the market and why? Or is their some hybrid system of various suppliers that is better and what is it composed of?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I use the IBS system, works pretty well for quite a while now, monitor in cab relay under hood.

I have found that you need to mix and match to get the best (IMO) system. I use a Blue Seas marine VSR, and National Luna monitor, the combination has been in now for around 5 years not a single problem.

Marine products are built to a higher specification hence a marine VSR, the NL monitor is a little 'blingy' but will show an ailing battery long before it lets you down completely.

I also have the ability to plug in and monitor solar panels, the mains charger goes in soon as well. For this I made my own panel for monitoring inputs.

regards

Dave

I have found that you need to mix and match to get the best (IMO) system. I use a Blue Seas marine VSR, and National Luna monitor, the combination has been in now for around 5 years not a single problem.

Marine products are built to a higher specification hence a marine VSR, the NL monitor is a little 'blingy' but will show an ailing battery long before it lets you down completely.

I also have the ability to plug in and monitor solar panels, the mains charger goes in soon as well. For this I made my own panel for monitoring inputs.

regards

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for getting back to me. I agree the Blue Sea products are 1st class, I've got my eye on a Blue Sea 7622 500 AMP Auto Charging Relay inc BS 2146 switch. A little pricey but found on sale just under $200. Have you looked at that? What Blue sea VSR did you buy? Also, can you send a photo and some description of the panel you made for monitoring inputs. I am leaning that direction, as well.

Just checked, the VSR I used is the same, it was a fortune at the time but was installed October 2011 and still works perfect. I have the three way switch you mention as well. I leave the switch in 'auto' and it only gets used when testing to see if it still works, the system is ultra 'fit and forget'.......how it should be. The install is more or less as per the pics below with some minor alterations to switch positions on the centre console.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-lc-80-thread.365673/page-6

Other pics after switch/monitor position change.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-lc-80-thread.365673/page-13

Further down the same page you will see the power distribution point at the rear of the car. Three gauges, volts from the two solar panels when plugged in, and individual ammeters for the two panels as well. One panel gets fixed to the roof rack very soon, the other is on a wander lead, the ammeter allows for a visual reference for panel position, more important on cloudy days. I would have preferred LED gauges but they cannot be seen in the sun, the needles position can also calibrated with a MM for accuracy.

The switches below are self explanatory, two different USB outputs, one for a mobile phone and the other with a higher amperage for tablet. Box also has a water pump inside for the shower and other water needs, this is connected to a water bladder in the right hand rear quarter with circa 27 litres.

Lowest box is the 30 amp solar panel controller, another fit and forget item.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back