Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Duck!

I remember seeing that documentary. I think they edited that bit out! I bet Alain De Cadenet had a change of underwear after that one:laughing-rolling:

If you want your ears popping try this one....

Thanks for that Chas. Alain De Cadenet was/is a regular commentator/driver at the Goodwood Revival, along with Raymond Baxter (commentating and ex Spitfire pilot during WW2), an iconic voice you never forget. At the first Revival, Ray Hanna was asked to do a low fly past along the pit straight to open it. They didn't realise he would make that fly past lower than the tops of the flagpoles that lined the pit straight. True gents all of them and so sad to have lost such an amazing pilot as Ray Hanna who died in 2005 age 77. He was Red Arrows team leader for some time soon after they were formed. His flying, stories and commentary were so well delivered it was obvious he loved every minute flying, especially Spitfires, with every fibre.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1504724/Squadron-Leader-Ray-Hanna.html

Last edited:
Thanks for that Chas. Alain De Cadenet was a regular commentator at the Goodwood Revival, along with Raymond Baxter, an iconic voice you never forget. At the first Revival, Ray Hanna was asked to do a low fly past along the pit straight to open it. They didn't realise he would make that fly past lower than the tops of the flagpoles that lined the pit straight. True gents all of them and so sad to have lost such an amazing pilot as Ray Hanna who died in 2005 age 77. He was Red Arrows team leader for some time soon after they were formed. His flying, stories and commentary were so well delivered it was obvious he loved every minute flying, especially Spitfires, with every fibre.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1504724/Squadron-Leader-Ray-Hanna.html
I think he was the first one to convert a Spit to a two seater.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Were some converted Chas? I knew some were made as 2 seaters as trainers.

Last edited:
Awesome Vulcans, my Dad worked on Vulcans at AV Roe in Woodford, even though we lived 5 miles away when they revved the engines our bathroom window rattled (before double glazed units)...

Awesome Vulcans, my Dad worked on Vulcans at AV Roe in Woodford, even though we lived 5 miles away when they revved the engines our bathroom window rattled (before double glazed units)...

They also had that very distinctive howl on takeoff. A great shame they couldn't get the funds together to keep the last one flying. Some years ago, 1988?, there was a Dambusters reunion flypast up at Derwent dam near Sheffield with the Vulcan, a Lancaster, a Spit, a Hurricane and a couple of Tornados. Just as the Vulcan past the dam wall the pilot pointed it skywards and gave it the beans. Much like the video clip the sound of the Vulcan was all you could hear, much to the delight of the crowd. They have a cockpit from one that you can sit in at the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum in Doncaster. Very cramped and all round visibility is terrible.

They also had that very distinctive howl on takeoff. A great shame they couldn't get the funds together to keep the last one flying. Some years ago, 1988?, there was a Dambusters reunion flypast up at Derwent dam near Sheffield with the Vulcan, a Lancaster, a Spit, a Hurricane and a couple of Tornados. Just as the Vulcan past the dam wall the pilot pointed it skywards and gave it the beans. Much like the video clip the sound of the Vulcan was all you could hear, much to the delight of the crowd. They have a cockpit from one that you can sit in at the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum in Doncaster. Very cramped and all round visibility is terrible.
Derwent flypast
Vulcan, here the howl about 20secs

I did say that then googled and found some were made post war so I deleted it
I did wonder if that's what happened Chas but I've been getting some funny things happening, not being able to go back a page, that sort of stuff.

Anyway, on the Spitfire, you were right in that they had plans for them but they weren't adopted but came about later so technically correct though they made some and converted some later.

I did wonder if that's what happened Chas but I've been getting some funny things happening, not being able to go back a page, that sort of stuff.

Anyway, on the Spitfire, you were right in that they had plans for them but they weren't adopted but came about later so technically correct though they made some and converted some later.
Maybe Ray Hannah was the first one to privately convert a Spit to a two seater

Last edited:
Derwent flypast
Vulcan, here the howl about 20secs

I think the 2013 flypast was destined to be the last one as most of the original squadron had passed on. The 1988 one was attended by many Vip's and suites etc and tens of thousands on sight seers. Still have the program somewhere. I also filmed the event on a huge VHS camera but can't find the tape anywhere which really p****s me off.:angry-screaming:

I believe one of the guys involved in the 1982 Vulcan bombing raid on port Stanley served with guy Gibson

Thanks for that Chas. Alain De Cadenet was/is a regular commentator/driver at the Goodwood Revival, along with Raymond Baxter (commentating and ex Spitfire pilot during WW2), an iconic voice you never forget. At the first Revival, Ray Hanna was asked to do a low fly past along the pit straight to open it. They didn't realise he would make that fly past lower than the tops of the flagpoles that lined the pit straight. True gents all of them and so sad to have lost such an amazing pilot as Ray Hanna who died in 2005 age 77. He was Red Arrows team leader for some time soon after they were formed. His flying, stories and commentary were so well delivered it was obvious he loved every minute flying, especially Spitfires, with every fibre.

This video here, it's one of my favorite V12 sounds.

That's the one I was talking about Julian. To hear Ray Hanna tell the story of that was great. He wasn't supposed to go THAT low but it was fabulous even just hearing about it. Sadly I wasn't there to see it.

Heck doesn't it look old!! I mean it looks like it was filmed in the 70s.

We are very lucky to be just a few miles from Goodwood. We could see the Red arrows and hear the Vulcan and regularly get the sound of a Merlin in the sky. Pure nostalgic heaven that sound!

They have a cockpit from one that you can sit in at the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum in Doncaster. Very cramped and all round visibility is terrible.
You wouldn’t want to bail out with the undercarriage down either, one of the wheels was just behind the hatch so you would get a good cartoon quality splat!!!

Back