Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric aerial stopped working

cbv8

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
Can anyone advise my electric ariel worked fine when i bought my Colorado but now only goes up about 3inch it retracts fully i have tried WD40 etc but still the same:cry: any advice much appreciated :icon-wink:

Have you tried the aerial up and down switches on the dash with the radio switched on ?

It only works when the radio itself is switched on and off :icon-sad:

It only works when the radio itself is switched on and off :icon-sad:
That was not the question from Flint. is there not a switch on the dash that has a aerial symbol and up/down positions ? if so try pressing the up side

That was not the question from Flint. is there not a switch on the dash that has a aerial symbol and up/down positions ? if so try pressing the up side

My 90 doesn't have that switch , my aerial has never worked and never will , its only purpose is to allow numpties to chatter over the music i'm trying to listen to :wtf:

Mine doesn't either but then I've no idea if mine has an electric aerial or not :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The mast section should unscrew from the tip, then by undoing the body mount nut, it can be detached from the main unit.

There's a nylon "wire" that does the business, inside the mast.

With the mast removed, you can check it for ease of sliding, sometimes they get a little bent and go sticky. If you can't free it up off the car, replacement masts are a listed Toyo part number, and not so extortionate.

Good luck.

I gave up with mine and welded up the rusting hole in the wing.

Mine doesn't either but then I've no idea if mine has an electric aerial or not :D

I think they are automatic , i'm sure i've seen it go up and down in Helen's 90 when i've accidentally hit radio instead of cd .

She made me chuckle with a furious rant about someone hitting her mirrors all the time when she parks in the street . I let her finish before explaining they fold automatically when she turns the ignition off :lol:

Apologies if I gave a bum steer on the switches, I thought they were standard fitment. When I got my Colorado, the aerial was stuck half way up and in a sorry state. I could hear a bit of life from the motor so I fitted a replacement mast. It did move, but only about 6” up or down. After a bit of head scratching, I took the switch out of the dash and found the connector wasn’t clicked home properly. A bit of cleaner and a firm push sorted it. The switches will allow you to raise and lower the mast without having to turn the radio unit off (for low flying branches etc.), but unless you raise it fully again with the switch, the next time you turn the radio on, the mast will only go to the height previously set. That’s what happens with mine anyway.

No you didn't Flint thanks for the advice i never really noticed i had those switches i tried them this morning and hey presto they overrode the radio and the Ariel is a good un thank you again and everyone's suggestions :bow-yellow:

if ever needed ..... when bend or broken ..... they sell a replacement arial stick with the nylon teeth strap at Roughtrax (GB) ..... works great again and easy to install. Replaced mine after it hit a tree-branch. And they sent it all over Europe!

Back