Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engel Combi fridges

fridayman

Garage
Does anyone have one of these? Can it be used as one big fridge or does the freezer always freeze?

engel fridges use a japan sawafuji swing motor..
this motor doesnt use a crankshaft or connecting rod to drive their piston.instead they use a combination of springs and electro-magnets that move the piston up and down generating compression when it needed
the benefit of this design allows a variable piston stroke in the cylinder depending on the load the fridge demands.
during its initial start-up period the swing motor doesnt have to go through a full cycle like a traditional crank-driven piston compressor.this reduces the small spike that can occur for a fraction of a second when a crank-driven pump first starts.
it is capable of operating at angles up to 30 degrees when off-road.
the construction of this fridge is a heavy duty compares to others..
the average dc power consumption is 1amp/h

but when tested in a difficult enviroment (set internal temp 4 degrees) and the ampient was from 25 and increased to 60 ..the internal temp increased to 11..compare to others..
and now you are going to ask..is it possible to increase the ampient temp to 60 ?
yessss..when outside a sunny day has 25 ..inside your stopped car has 31
when outside has 30 and the sun looks directly your car to the beach ..inside has 46..
and when outside a very hot day has 42 degrees ..inside your car has 69!!!!

another benefit for this fridge is that it is capable to operate as low as 8,5 volt without causing any damage to the unique sawafuji compressor..

I have an Engel Mt45 and its spot on, the temp range can be a bit tempermental but certainly keeps things cold and also will take a battering

But does it have to be used as a fridge OR a freezer, or a sort of dual zone combination?

sorry should read post correctly, I got engrossed in Chris's response

you can have it as either but not both

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I ended up buying one as the price was just too good to pass up at roughly 60% off the normal price.

It is a pretty big fridge which does take up a lot of space. Once I have my shelves/drawer/slider fitted the fridge will be taking up the left half of the rear (with some space above for soft/light items). While this seems like a lot of space to give up, the smaller fridges don't really free up that much useful space in the set-up that I have planned. Also, I will be towing a camper trailer, so space is not my biggest concern. The size does mean that is has a lot of room, with the fridge more than adequate at 40L. The bonus is the freezer though which has space to keep meat and ice creams frozen, as well as plenty of space for ice and beers (that need emergency cooling). I just need to get my split charge / dual battery set-up sorted out now.

I have just passed through an area where the inside car temp was over 50 degrees constantly & my MT45 worked hard, but always managed to keep everything cool, it certainly would not have been capable of being used as a freezer in these conditions and that is in no way meant as a criticism of the product.

Back