Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engel MT17F as a console fridge

Hello!

Yes this is doable
Once I get my stuff togehter, I will do a similar thing.
But I will probably use a SnoMaster unit.

I rented a LC79 DC in South Africa in February & it had a another make for their centre console fridge.
Very neat indeed. I can dig out the name if needed :)

I have a small Snomaster between the front seats of my Troopy makes a fantastic armrest

Last edited:
It came to me now; In he bespoke LC79, we had an INDEL cooler. Worked quiye well for keeping them bottles of water etc cool whiles driving

Not sure about that one Simon, but a member has done a similar mod with a Dometic here:-
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/posts/1409406/
Thanks Rich, yes I looked at the Waeco/Dometic CDF 11 and CDF 16 and of the two, the 16 has more room in it as the CDF 11 loses space due to those cup holders and so the 16 becomes the better option for the same space. However, I'm intrigued by the Engel as an option - there just aren't many of them in the UK which makes it tougher.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It came to me now; In he bespoke LC79, we had an INDEL cooler. Worked quiye well for keeping them bottles of water etc cool whiles driving
I've not heard of Indel Peter but I think when I was in Cape Town, they showed me one in the National Luna range. I may look at what Indel has in terms of models for console fridges.
The Engel is a bit bigger than the Waecos but I've used Engel in the desert and so trust them. The Danfoss compressors are great [a have an NL Weekender in the back] but Engel apparently uses a swing motor compressor which is more efficient. I've also heard that danfoss compressors can cause a bit of RF interference - which the Engel doesn't. Snomasters don't seem very efficient in comparison to the Engel.
I also don't want to adjust the seats at all - it will need to go straight in.
If the Engel doesn't fit, I think I'll be going for the CDF-16. I'm kicking myself a bit because the Allrad show had good prices for the Engel. UK Engel prices seem way over the odds.

I am also planning on doing this and had always intended to use the CDF 16

Lorin how did you go with the CDF-16? Just to update my plans. I know the CDF-11 fits next to the handbrake but the CDF-16 unfortunately seems too big. I'm now instead go for the Indel B TB-15 or TB-18 http://www.indelb.com/products/automotive/suv_offroad_jeep_fridges because both have the same 235mm width of the CDF-11 which I know fits - but the Indels have a bigger capacity. They are the ones National Luna is importing into SA too. I just need to decide on height between the 15 and the 18. The UK distributor for Indel is Bukh Diesel in Poole - not open on weekends but have both in stock.

It's still on the to-do list at the moment. Given what you say about the Indels, I might see if I can go and view one next week. I work in Poole so I could nip in during the day.

Just been into Bukh Diesel and had a good look at the Indel B TB-15 and TB-18 fridges. They look comparable to a Waeco with a plastic shell and appear to be as robustly put together. They also do a TB-13 as pictured below that is a little bit narrower and has a couple of cup holders like the Waeco CDF-11. They are also similarly priced to a Waeco at between £300 and £360 for the three I looked at. One thing of note, looking at the bottom of the TB-15 and TB-18 there is no way to mount them other than by using the supplied tie-down strap. The TB-13 however has an optional mounting plate that is fixed permanently in the vehicle but allows the fridge to be clipped in and out.

I'd say the Indels seem like a really good alternative to a Waeco or Engel. Will most likely be my choice when I do this.

cid:FABA98C6-F73F-482C-AC2C-430E8C65F8F9

Great feedback, thanks Lorin. Your pic isn't loading for some reason. Yes I guess with the 15 and the 18 you could remove the carry strap and use two tie-down straps attaching to a mounting plate.

I have a indel in my trailer and have been very impressed with it. Seems to go on and on with a very small battery.

Power I feel is less then either the Waeco or NL I have.

I think it's around 35-40l will go in the cruiser once I get the NL in the trailer.

Back