Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Evans coolant

Stuartieboy

Country Flag
scotland
Hi all,

I have posted in 'introduce yourself' just now looking for tips, I'm going to look at a '93 LJ78 2.4 diesel next week.
Reading about the head and overheating issues, I was wondering if anyone has used Evans coolant before? It's waterless, so less presure on the system, but it's expensive.

Any thoughts? :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi :)

I think the best thing you can do for the cooling system is:
- to make sure the viscous fan/clutch is working correctly
- the cooling system is flushed
- and that the radiator is in good condition (and of good quality)
- get a decent after market temp gauge fitted. Toyota ones are hopeless.

Low pressure coolant isn't likely to help you at all on this one.

Good luck with the purchase.

There is a theory that the head cracking is caused by a poorly designed head that allows a heat build up between cylinders 3 & 4.

Replacement heads tend to be pattern ie a direct copy, so inherently the same. AMC heads get a good report for resistance but are mucho ££££.

Thing is that it doesnt happen on every engine, I know Jimbo's was ultra reliable and capable of a good turn of speed, certainly I never had an issue with overheating, albeit 60mph was a good cruising speed.

Its a 20 year old truck, with an engine with issues, but as a result prices are relatively low for a LC.

That's why I thought the Evans stuff might be a good idea, people are recommending Water Wetter, so the Evans stuff does the same at that, but more so and doesn't have the corrosive effects of water.

As I said however, it ain't cheap, so if others have found other / better methods, I'll happily use them! :icon-biggrin:

As I said before ... your much better spending the £200 odd pounds on the above remedies ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back