Evolution of a trailer

Lorin

Mar 28, 2010
Bournemouth
The trailer is a Challenger Bundu Basher, made in South Africa. It is essentially a copy of the Venter Bushbaby. As standard mine was the unbraked version with a Tare of approx 500kg (based on Bushbaby specs) and a GVM of 750kg. Unfortunately Challenger have gone bust, so there isn't much info to be found. However, I do know that a braked version was also available with a GVM of 1500kg, the only difference being the axle and the braking system, and I wanted mine to be braked....., and on 37s.

Here's how it was in standard trim when I bought it (thanks Stu)
IMG_0593.PNG

Establishing 37s don't fit...
IMG_2258.jpg

After much cutting, fabricating, swearing and spending.... 37s do fit
IMG_2395.jpg

And here it is proper. 37 XZLs to match the truck. Lots of strengthening and bracing. Braked axle rated to 1600kg with same track width as the 80. New suspension leafs rated to 1200kg (maximum I will ever carry) with uprated/stronger hangers. Extended drawbar.
IMG_8633.JPG

IMG_8631.JPG

IMG_8634.JPG

The next stages include mounting the tent on a lifting rack and fitting out the inside. Updates to follow.

Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in europe
Feb 24, 2010
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Garage
Having fitted out a trailer from scratch Lorin, you know that if you've any questions, you've only to ask. I had issues with mine. Weight too far forward, leaking water tanks, tent mounting decisions so if there's any way I can help point out the pitfalls, let me know.

First thing I would say is if you fit (and you should) a water filter, drain it during the winter. I didn't and it froze and split right open. Having a drain point low down is really useful. It can be used to drain of course but also in the event of total pump failure, I can stick a bucket under there.

Reactions: Lorin

Lorin

Mar 28, 2010
Bournemouth
Little bit of progress...

Some plywood to create separate compartments in the trailer.
IMG_8835.JPG

Rear compartment holds 2x 64 litre and 2x 50 litre Really Useful Boxes
IMG_8841.JPG

Centre section, mostly over the axle - tie down points for the water tank, bolted through the chassis
IMG_8836.JPG

125 litre water tank from Tanks Direct
IMG_8837.JPG

Pics to follow showing electrics, tank plumbing, Gaslow LPG install etc....

Last edited:

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
I am in england
May 26, 2014
near, leek staffs.
The trailer is a Challenger Bundu Basher, made in South Africa. It is essentially a copy of the Venter Bushbaby. As standard mine was the unbraked version with a Tare of approx 500kg (based on Bushbaby specs) and a GVM of 750kg. Unfortunately Challenger have gone bust, so there isn't much info to be found. However, I do know that a braked version was also available with a GVM of 1500kg, the only difference being the axle and the braking system, and I wanted mine to be braked....., and on 37s.

Here's how it was in standard trim when I bought it (thanks Stu)
View attachment 161637

Establishing 37s don't fit...
View attachment 161638

After much cutting, fabricating, swearing and spending.... 37s do fit
View attachment 161639

And here it is proper. 37 XZLs to match the truck. Lots of strengthening and bracing. Braked axle rated to 1600kg with same track width as the 80. New suspension leafs rated to 1200kg (maximum I will ever carry) with uprated/stronger hangers. Extended drawbar.
View attachment 161641
View attachment 161640
View attachment 161642

The next stages include mounting the tent on a lifting rack and fitting out the inside. Updates to follow.
just noticed your running XZLs. there an animal of a tyre!
how are you finding them on the 80?

Lorin

Mar 28, 2010
Bournemouth
just noticed your running XZLs. there an animal of a tyre!
how are you finding them on the 80?
I really like them. They're a compromise for sure, they are pretty noisy and very heavy but they're also very tough and other than the noise don't have any major downsides.

Reactions: chapel gate

Lorin

Mar 28, 2010
Bournemouth
Few more updates. As I will be using a roof tent rather than a trailer tent I had a few issues to solve.... Firstly, the tent has a skirt that I want to be able to use as a room, so I need the tent to be at the right height to work properly. Secondly, I wanted my trailer with the tent on to be lower in height than the 80 - primarily to keep the trailer centre of gravity as low as possible but also so there’s no chance of the trailer snagging on something the 80 could clear and lastly to minimise drag. Oh, I also wanted some storage rack space on the trailer......

The solution was to have a lifting rack that was low enough when being towed but the right height when pitching the tent. After mocking up several designs I initially settled on using a telescoping leg arrangement. This would have been my preference but to get it work properly, and by that I mean tight enough tolerances for no lateral movement when raised, things got very technical and increasingly costly. So, a pivoting leg arrangement was settled on.

This design gives me a full length rack with 30cm of height to use as storage under the tent. It then lifts a further 30cm to a total height of 2m when raised. The legs pivot to the rear of the trailer meaning when raised, the tent provides cover for us to access where our clothes are. The ’L’ shape of the legs means that when the rack is raised it sits down on the legs. The legs are secured in both the lowered and raised positions by 4 indexing pins, meaning it is properly locked in each position. To assist with lifting the rack two gas springs are mounted on the rearmost legs.

Base/storage rack
4F30C979-1460-401E-ABC8-C6F81D2AB110.jpeg

With tent rack on - in lowered position
1C1A8B54-1F8F-422D-B562-6F143AA705AF.jpeg

Tent rack in raised position
3CF52C16-BB8F-4044-9C81-9496DC5AE4FF.jpeg

Lowered
EADC7BE1-AE59-417C-B000-A2A0D6E1ABBA.jpeg

Raised
32C9CE09-0F1A-431F-A77F-45F5958DB5C4.jpeg

Pictures with tent on to follow....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks