Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exact production date LJ70 TD2.4 series

Arno

For parts I'm looking for the exact production year & month for my LJ70 TD2.4 (2L-T engine)

So far it seems the production year - month can only be decoded from the serial number.

First registration date says November 1992
Though production date usually is a few months earlier at least.

Anyone here has the exact serial number sequences showing production years / month?

JT1VO LJ70 09057564

Looking around at the net with VIN decoders I get February 1992 as the production date.
To have my order depend on this info seems a bit shaky for now.

Background;

I'm looking for a clutch kit where in production month July / August 1992 makes the difference between 2 types.

224 mm friction plate - Mar/1988-Jul/1992
236 mm friction plate - Aug/1992-May/1993

most likely depending on the flywheel size which (ofcourse) shows the same ordering info.

I can't see what's currently spinning inside the bell housing, it seems like a bit of gamble for now.
Having the wrong friction plate which is 12 mm off (too large or too small) does make a difference I guess.

Having the order based on the friction plate / fly wheel size i find in the bell housing might also be wrong...
Assuming the prev. owner had to make the same decision.

After quite a bit of digging on the net;

The chassis number above doesn't correspond with most of the VIN specs I found for Toyota.
The 10th digit doesn't correspond with the year codes. (Zero doesn't exist)

It seems that the LJ70s manufactured in the EU (Finland?) the chassis number has a bit different spec.

This site http://rustybrain.com/cruisers/faq.txt details the model number LV-MNXW found on the type plate.
LV-MNXW 2LT 11/86-12/92 FIN 5F HT (Special 6/87-11/87, 5/91-12/92)

Meaning the LV-MNXW model is delivered with 2LT engine from 11/86 to 12/92 in Finland with 5F transmission and HT body

The model code leads to list of clutch manufacturers for the LJ70.

Looking in a reverse way in the spec of the clutch discs;

The manufacturer QUINTON HAZELL has a Clutch Kit with order number QKT1723AF.

The detailed spec for the QUINTON HAZELL Clutch shows a chassis sequence number!

[ QUINTON HAZELL ] : QKT1723AF - Clutch Kit
from construction year: 08/1992
from Chassis No.: 9501990
to construction year: 12/1992
Diameter mm: 236

meaning that the chassis no 9057564 for my LJ70 is below that chassis spec.

That seems to point to this clutch disc for my LJ70

[ QUINTON HAZELL ] : QKT1507AF - Clutch Kit
to construction year: 08/1992
to Chassis No.: 9501989
Diameter mm: 225

None of the other clutch manufacturers seem to detail this to chassis number level.
This also points to a manufacturing date before August 1992. (First registration in Nov 1992.)

Remarkably QUINTON HAZELL has a 3rd Clutch disc listed for the LJ70 with diameter 260 mm. (QKT1713AF)
Unsure if that's correct.....no chassis no spec there.

Anyhow, not so easy to find and even less fun to order the wrong clutch disc.

Cheers
Arno

Back