Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exhaust options.

paul c

While away on holiday my car went to my mechanic for some routine servicing. Its a 4.7 V8 and he has found it needs a new exhaust system. A Toyota one is £2200. He looked at pattern exhausts but no one makes a complete one. Has anyone else found a pattern system or are there other options ie. a bespoke stainless steel one.
I plan on keeping the car for 10 years.

Any advice or experience of the above problem would be valued. Thanks

Paul c

:text-+1:

I replaced my zorst with a Mr T steel unit and it lasted 7 years.

I replaced that with a Stainless custom made unit, the car sounds great, it fits perfectly (meaning better than the original) all the mountings are standard so easily replaceable and it has a lifetime guarantee (remaining life of the car).

It was marginally more expensive than the Mr T replacement, by about 5%.

Pros and cons, but well worth it in my book. I intend my car lasting longer than me! :lol:

Last edited:
I'd spotted they now do a system, interested to see what it's like as the info on their site is quite sparse.

I saw and heard a system that had just been fitted at West Coast and it was excellent.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the advice so far. Forgot to say that Mr T's price needed to have VAT added and fitting which is pushing it to £3000!! Ouch

So far stainless is the way to go. By the way Clive I love the pictures of your 80's stainless exhaust. A work of art.

Thanks thelostscott for flagging up the services of West Coast Off Road. Looked on their site which is sparse on info. Will email them.

My 2003 V8 has 2 cats. If I have a stainless exhaust will it still have 2 cats? Also how much was your exhaust from West coast and did it have a lifetime warranty?

I have found a company near Heathrow called Profusion Customs who are agents and importers of Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust systems. Spoke to a guy called Raj for 25 minutes about a complete system for my V8. If you look at their web site they are used to working on expensive cars, £220,000 just recently, and have an eye for detail. For a cat back exhaust £600 excluding VAT and for a complete system including cats £1600 excluding VAT. The later would have all the lamda sensors fitted and be checked on the computer. LPG converted cars exhaust gases are hotter than standard and they would fit cats to cope with the increase. They build exhausts for race cars with a 1000hp and are used to dealing with the heat issues. The exhaust on my V8 has a hole on the down pipe between the manifold and the cat so a complete system with a lifetime guarantee would be the way to go. I am keeping the car for 10 years. They will also adjust the V8 sound to suit.

What do you guys think? Thanks for comments in advance.

I don't know about the petrol version but I was very impressed with the 100 series diesel version I saw on the West Coast stand at the Overland show. I would definitely make enquiries there as the diesel version was a very good price. You pays your money and takes your chance, plenty of homework required.

Andy

Annoyingly I couldn't make it as that was one of the things I wanted to look at.

Last edited:
Although LPG is said to burn hotter I've never heard of it being any kind of issue to consider for the CATs, that might be a bit of a sales pitch? Have you priced up getting an EMS system from the US - http://www.emspowered.com/storefron...99_200&zenid=825e68d424600cd27eaf1336f8685509 - even with expensive shipping it might be cheaper? Have you had a quote from ProSpeed?

Paul

I couldn't agree more with Jon's comments. I've never had a issue between my CATs and my Prinns LPG conversion in almost the three years that I've been driving my truck and the fact that you were pitched such flim flam does not look good for those dudes near Heathrow. When you do finally find an answer to your question, let me know because I intend to do the same thing and maybe we could work out a deal which could end up saving both of us a lorry load of money......

I had the the pleasure of following Jon's old truck on a run to the LPG filling station on the Wirral a couple of months ago while visiting Pistol Pete and man I can tell you that EMS system sounded the dogs bollocks!

John

Last edited:
Book it in to Prospeed in Cardiff Charlie there can make whatever you want to sound however you want and every exhaust is custom made from scratch and guaranteed for the life of the vehicle . My truck exhaust (which bears no resemblance to the standard set up as requested) was started at 10am and finished at 4.30pm . Your welcome to sit around my house drinking tea while you wait if you want .

By the way there's a few companies calling themselves Prospeed but there's only one Charlie and he's in Cardiff and every exhaust is put together by him personally .

I had the the pleasure of following Jon's old truck on a run to the LPG filling station on the Wirral a couple of months ago while visiting Pistol Pete and man I can tell you that EMS system sounded the dogs bollocks!
Dunno who Pistol Pete is but the exhaust on oily was built by ProSpeed :icon-wink:

Mmm, those EMS headers look velly velly nice Jay Dubbleyuh... I'm starting to save my pennies already...

Pistol Pete ;-)

Mmm, those EMS headers look velly velly nice Jay Dubbleyuh... I'm starting to save my pennies already...

Pistol Pete ;-)
Don't think the EMS headers will work on a right hand drive truck but the rest should be the same.

DOH!!! Might drop them a note to see...

Who were Oiley's from Jon?

Darren in Oz via Julian V. None of the Oz dealers would ship to UK. If you knew someone in Oz who'd help you out might be worth getting same again but ceramic coated before shipping over here :icon-wink:

Back