Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

flooding

Are the auto gearbox breathers the pair of pipes that appear on the side of the gearbox dipstick?
One is the auto box the other is the transfer box iirc and they are open no flapper valve or anything like that to stop the water getting in. The other potential point of entry is if the o-ring where the dipstick shaft fits into the oil pan isn't very good or the seal on the dipstick itself.

Fingers crossed a few more fluid changes see's her right Gary. I forget how many it took to make mine happy but it was quite a few and each one improved things. The colour of the fluid is probably a good guide to how pure it is. Might be worth squirting some ACF-50 or similar down the 'kick down' cable if there is one on a petrol(?) I didn't on my diesel and the cable went rusty, sticky and needed changing.

Last edited:
It got another change today, cooler had a lot of sludgy oil in so took it to work and ran parts washer through it. Was a bit creamy, will do a few more. It might end up with the sump off yet.
Not sure If has a cable but will look cheers.

Gave it a wash as was smelling quite a bit underneath too, hate to think what I've driven through!!

Disinfectant is a VERY good idea Gary. Like you say, there's no telling what's got in where. I attended a water training evening with the local fire brigade through Sussex 4x4 Response and they were most insistent that a good wash with disinfectant was administered.

Watch out for any cuts on your hands etc too and be wary of any flu like symptoms in the coming weeks. Anything out of the ordinary, get straight to your doc, you cannot be too careful.

Last edited:
One is the auto box the other is the transfer box iirc and they are open no flapper valve or anything like that to stop the water getting in. The other potential point of entry is if the o-ring where the dipstick shaft fits into the oil pan isn't very good or the seal on the dipstick itself.
After Rich's question I went and peered into my engine bay, the two pipes are piped into the dipstick tube so the only way water might get in is through the top of the tube, are these pipes normally open then?

Pipes.jpg

Ah, now that's what I thought Chas until I removed the top section of my dipstick tube to replace a leaking O ring part way down. They are open just beside the tube. At least they are easy to get at and connect to filters and extend is so desired.

On this subject I read somewhere, (might have been mud or on here) that someone suggested a very slight maintained positive pressure for both axles and gearboxes. I have yet to think of a reason this would be not be a good idea at say 0.5 psi. Wouldn't be too tricky to administer either with a regulator valve and an over pressure valve of the correct settings, fed from on board air.

Ah, now that's what I thought Chas until I removed the top section of my dipstick tube to replace a leaking O ring part way down. They are open just beside the tube.
Yes, bit of a poor design really.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Disinfectant is a VERY good idea Gary. Like you say, there's no telling what's got in where. I attended a water training evening with the local fire brigade through Sussex 4x4 Response and they were most insistent that a good wash with disinfectant was administered.

Watch out for any cuts on your hands etc too and be wary of any flu like symptoms in the coming weeks. Anything out of the ordinary, get straight to your doc, you cannot be too careful.

Pretty similar to what been told in the past via training in the 4x4 networks. It got a dose of marine cleaner and a good hot wash.
Been as careful as could be in the circumstances. Wellies got flooded a couple of times but had clean clothing and boots etc in the truck (have a spare set of clothes in a vac bag in the top basket all the time as never know when off road/laning)

Carpets need a good clean but boss has said the valeters at work will sort that for me.

Winch rope is coming off tomorrow and straps I've used need a clean. Need to look at the alarm at some point and prob strip the alternator as keeps playing up

Still a lot of people helping with a massive clean up. Tradesmen offering services for free etc. Professional cleaning company's helping with cleaning properties. Great community to be part of

Back