Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front dampers

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
The front end of my 78 feels solid (hardly any give in the dampers) ... is there an easy way to rectify this or is it the dampers are stuffed

You cannot repair dampers of this type. To ascertain their true condition, you need to take them off. You could try a bounce test. You need a couple of friends to help you get the front end (one side at a time), to move up and down, to the greatest extent you can. Another way is to drive and brake hard and then immediately drive off again and brake hard again. Either method will give you some idea, but neither will be as effective as getting them of the car. If in getting them off you allow them to be either horizontal or worse, you will need to bleed the gas from the cylinder. To do this mount them upright in a vice and push the damper top all the way down. Allow it to return to the top and then do it another 5 times.

Roger

There is no bounce in them.
drove over those traffic calming humps and it felt like hitting a low wall with the tyres

Mine are the same, ready for replacement.

Just check the Sport setting on the suspension isnt on.

Genuine parts are crazy money, cheaper to go for a good quality aftermarket setup but you will lose the electric sport settings, so probably best to replace all four.

Pete

Sport setting is off..

what brand of dampers would you choose ... (i had OME on the last truck ... and very very impressed with it)

OME are high quality and designed specifically for each model. I fitted mine about 10 years ago and they are still going strong.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dobinsons (now available from Devon4x4 in UK).

might have some off the front of mine if i buy a "lift kit" but i might be a tight arse and just buy some springs

Check out Jim4x4's truck thread - he did the same & I made some damper extension pieces for him... I might have a few over ;)

Back