Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Diff Locker maybe

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
After the malarky of getting to this years Lincomb and my Diff exploding. I aquired a new/wrong one. Between myself, Big Chris and JW under the assumption that the 2 different ratio's on the colorado's were 4.1 and 4.56, after checking the new one when it arrived we figured it was as close to 4.1 as it needed to be doing simple tests. So went ahead and fitted it. We later found out that rather than there being a 4.1 and a 4.56, they are 4.1 and 4.3. So long story its the wrong one.

I have been on and off the phone with the company I got it from since 9 this morning. useless as always again long story short I will know by 11 tomorrow as to weather they have a matching rear diff to do a straight swap with mine.

After all this I thought I would have a flick through my Max Ellery and see what they have to say about removing the front Diff just to see if there was anything silly we had missed at the weekend and to keep it fresh in my mind. This turned up something QI.

Firstly the does not seem to be a write up in there for removing the front diff housing

More importantly is talks about and shows a picture of the front diff with what appears to be a factory locker.

20130909_184646_zps270a4b4b.jpg

Now I realise that the max ellery covers some 120 bits aswell and also hi-lux 4runners and surf aswell but personally I have never heard of any of these having factory fit lockers (don't know much about the 120/125's though.

Though it was all quite interesting and possible base for discussion.

I'm not aware of any 90s with factory front lockers......a few have fitted air lockers from ARB etc though.

Seems the lockers were factory fit on certain models of '95-03 Tacoma, '00-04 Tundra, and 96-02 4Runners. A check on Toyodiy does I think show one. From the information I have read they say it is a "High" pinion Diff as opposed to a "Low" one. (not sure what that means)

'95-03 Tacoma, '00-04 Tundra, ?? Sequoia's, and 96-02 4Runners have a high-pinion 7.5" IFS front diff offset to the drivers side. The high-pinion design is used so that the rack and pinion steering and anti-sway bar on these vehicles can run under the front driveshaft. The housing is a unique bolt-together design. The carrier inside is exactly the same as the '86-95 IFS diffs, so LSD's and lockers for it are also the same. However, since this is a high-pinion diff, the gears for it are different (reverse-cut) than the earlier diff. There is an ADD and non-ADD version of this diff as well.
These diffs use different gear sets than the earlier IFS diff because of the high-pinion design.
- Driver's side
- High pinion
- 27 spline axles
- Bolt-together "clamshell" housing design.

diag_1r950Cu.jpg

May not have been a factory fit, but good old toyota makes sure it has the later option of adding one...

I was not aware of any other colorado/prado/surf/4runners that had front diff locks, most of them never had the rear diff lock standard except the UK colorado's

Its Toyota's ADD system for part time 4wd IFS trucks, my old surf had it.

Good find Chris :thumbup: be interesting to see if between us we can find out any more.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yeah - my 4runner had the ADD system

it used vacuum system to disconnect one of front driveshafts when running in H2 (rear wheel drive)

PS - Chris - have you checked the oil level and condition in your rear diff and transfer and gearboxes :icon-wink:

Back