Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front lockers?

br1anuk

Simple question this, does the UK spec Land Cruiser Amazon 100 series have centre, rear and front lockers or is the front axle controlled by the traction control system. Somebody fro the USA asked me and I assumed that they have a front locker, but it looks like I'm wrong. Could someone please clear this up for me.
Thanks.

Hi,

On my 2004 100 IFS, center and rear diff locks only, no front diff lock fitted by Toyota on the IFS.

You can get after market front diff lock fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe so, although something pings in my mind about arb doing one.

Petrol 100's from late 1999 *build date* onwards have ATRAC traction control and no rear locker from the factory. Before then and on diesels of any age a rear locker was an option. There are several after market options for adding front and/or rear lockers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No 100 had factory front lockers. Some 105 have them as an option.
Post facelift (2003) the rear locker is virtually nonexistent. For the longest time I thought it was removed as an option, but I have seen two examples so far online. The wiring exists behind the dash too.
Diesels after 1999 also have the ATRAC, it's not only petrols.

The space for the locker switch is there, even if you don't have a locker, it just has a plastic cap. You can even fit a switch from 80/105/70 for front & rear and wire it for your aftermarket lockers, as I did. It's pretty cool

image_893374.jpg

No 100 had factory front lockers. Some 105 have them as an option.
Post facelift (2003) the rear locker is virtually nonexistent. For the longest time I thought it was removed as an option, but I have seen two examples so far online. The wiring exists behind the dash too.
Diesels after 1999 also have the ATRAC, it's not only petrols.

The space for the locker switch is there, even if you don't have a locker, it just has a plastic cap. You can even fit a switch from 80/105/70 for front & rear and wire it for your aftermarket lockers, as I did. It's pretty cool

View attachment 165053
Have you got a 'Power Heater' on yours'? mine is where your 'Idle up' button is.

Sadly, no - mine has Spanish heritage :( Immaculate underside and chassis, but no power heater and no seat heaters :( Idle Up just rises the idle RPM to about 1100, until engine heats up a bit. Which is a horrible way to heat up cold engines, but...
You would have thought that then it would have a central console cooler for the Spanish heat, but no, it doesn't have that either. PO cheaped out.

Sadly, no - mine has Spanish heritage :( Immaculate underside and chassis, but no power heater and no seat heaters :( Idle Up just rises the idle RPM to about 1100, until engine heats up a bit. Which is a horrible way to heat up cold engines, but...
You would have thought that then it would have a central console cooler for the Spanish heat, but no, it doesn't have that either. PO cheaped out.
All the 60’s and all 80’s I had had idle up, but my 100 has PH or viscous heater as some call it, that I never use.

All the 60’s and all 80’s I had had idle up, but my 100 has PH or viscous heater as some call it, that I never use.
Excuse my ignorance here all but is that the only purpose of 'idle up' just to accelerate the engine temperature? :think:

Yes. I have heard that you could use it when winching for example, but it doesn't work when engine is at working temperature - the ECU overrides it and RPMs stay at 600.

Are you sure about diesel 100's getting ATRAC? I've not come across any and was under the impression it's a technical limitation and was never available.

Well, I think I have it :)
With no lockers and on a slippery surface a TRAC light blinks a lot on the dashboard and I can hear the breaks kicking in and feel it in the pedal. Engaging lockers stops that. More locker - less TRAC light, until no light at all with all 3 lockers engaged. I also have the dual rear brake hoses coming to the axle. Non-ATRAC vehicles have a single hose going back.

The A-TRC came as an option on HDJ100 in Europe and Australia from 2003-8 production. I have seen it only on 2005 prod onwards.

05.2005 build date. If it was optional, I am massively surprised that the PO who drove it ONLY highway miles got that, but cheaped out on the center console fridge and headlight washers

The A-TRC came as an option on HDJ100 in Europe and Australia from 2003-8 production. I have seen it only on 2005 prod onwards.
i believe ive got atrac my car is a 2003 october production it doesnt have rear diff lock or limited slip diff ,it has a green light that comes on the dash on start up saying active trac

Back