Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front speakers

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
How does one get to the speakers in the dashboard of an Lj78 ??
and .... is it a standard fitting where the lectrics are for the head unit ??

The passenger side speaker requires the glove box taking out to get to it, not sure about the drivers. The wiring is standard Toyota, you can get an adapter to fit most car stereos off eBay if your looking to change it so you don't have to chop wires

You can take the binnacle and instrument cluster off very easily, its about 13 screws in total - looks worse than it is to do.

When putting back together just make sure the speedo cable goes back into the back of the speedo.

Be interested to know what speakers you use - the standard ones are poor.

The adapter for a new stereo is available at Halfords for £15, or fleabay for less than a fiver.

Pete

Just been out to try to change the radio's over .. it had a "Sony Xplod" thing in there ... but it's crap,

took it out to find someone has chopped the plug off the vehicle loom :twisted: :twisted:

does anyone know what colors go where ???

speakers ..... i've got a pair of 100w Pioneer cones that i want to put in there ..... yup the ones in there at the mo are tinny (i'm deaf so need a good quality sound)
and i've got a pair of 300w "Ministry of Sound" 6x9's i want to put in the back

head unit is a "ripspeed" flip screen dvd player

Is there a downloadable manual or something i can look at ??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey Red, would have gone and checked for you but it's away for week having seats recovered, just fit a new head unit, added some rear speakers and replaced the rubbish factory ones with some door mounted speakers, will post some photos soon, sounds a lot better!!

I have uploaded the page from the manual for you at a huge size so you can see it

page0392.jpg

Excellent .... Thank you :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

any ideas where i can get a repair manual (haynes or similar)

I now have sound from the front speakers .... will tackle the rears when i can be bothered

Hi, Carl. You can get 6x9 speakers in the back panels of your truck. My BIL had one of these first of and we upgaded the rear speakers with some kenwoods. Made a real difference. His also had the rear door mounted sub but we didn't use that after fittng the new ones. By the way, I was in Newton Abbott last week on hols and I'm sure I saw you driving around by on the race track. I was in Tesco's filling up to come back to Southampton.

On the subject of speakers I had a big sub-woofer given to me, can anybody tell me how to wire it into the system please, :pray: does it have to connect direct to the stereo or is it wired between the rear speakers?

most stereo's have a seperate connector for a sub ....

Red Oktober said:
most stereo's have a seperate connector for a sub ....
Cheers, I'll have a look round the back :thumbup:

If you have a posh stereo you'll have a sub pre-out on the back of the head unit, it's best to use that as trying to pump music (as opposed to just bass) through a sub from the speaker connections can seriously shorten it's lifespan. If you don't have a sub pre-out (or even if you do) then fitting an amp will help with sound quality. I'm not clued up enough to give you more advice but any auto-spark should be able to help you out :thumbup:

Jim.

It's a super duper Alpine, so should have that :pray:

Hi, Cossack. The sockets should have a red center in one and a white in the other. Some are on short leads or fixed on the back of the unit. These are used to connect to the amp of the sub and the back of the radio using phono leads. This is a low level feed to the amp. You will then need to run a heavy power supply to the amp( mine has a 60amp power supply). Also you will need a switching wire to turn on the amp when the radio is switched on.

Back