Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front window stopped working

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
my front drivers side window has stopped working .... i can hear the motor trying to lift the window .... but no sound trying to lower it.

thankfully the window is shut at the mo .... but would like it to open as well

all the other windows work as they should .... any ideas will be greatful ..

Cheers
C

Hi Carl

Could possibly be the drivers door window switches.

Take door card off go to the window motor wires (red and black) and put 12v to one and earth to the other then opposit way round. That will tell you if the motor is ok.

They are a common issue on the 80s.

Karl

right .... motor definitely works ..... window works sweet when connected direct to 12v

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
took the switch apart ...cleaned all the contacts ...put it back together .... still doesn't work

Switch shot then. Unless anyone else could shed any light.

WIth a direct 12v feed it goes up and down as it should carl?

Karl

karl webster said:
Switch shot then. Unless anyone else could shed any light.

WIth a direct 12v feed it goes up and down as it should carl?

Karl

yep ... with a direct 12v feed it works as it should

I find these switches do go quite often. After seeing the post regarding robs clean up job i will try that. When ive had the switches out in the past ive seen from the clear underside that they are usually all oxidised.

Hopefully someone can come up with a different approach to it.

Karl

The problem I've found with the switch contacts is due to spark errosion/contact oxidation. This problem is exacerbated in winter as the windows don't slide as easy in the guides and the motors have to work harder drawing more power, especially on startup, increasing arcing at the switch contacts. I've been meaning to wire in some spark quenchers for ages now but never got round to it.

What in gods name are spark quenchers?
And where would you get and fit them?

Spark quenchers are basically a capacitor and a resistor in a circuit. They are fitted into wiring where current surging occurs to protect components like switches, relays, thyristors etc. They reduce the risk of arcing accross contacts therefore prolonging the life of the component and reducing the risk of combustion in a flammable environment.

Ecoman said:
Spark quenchers are basically a capacitor and a resistor in a circuit. They are fitted into wiring where current surging occurs to protect components like switches, relays, thyristors etc. They reduce the risk of arcing accross contacts therefore prolonging the life of the component and reducing the risk of combustion in a flammable environment.

I thank you sir.

Hmmmmm .... it appears the fairies have been at the window switch ...

it now works as it shoud do :dance: :dance:

Back