Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel consumption

I filled mine up yesterday and it worked out at 23.24 mpg for local driving which is
okay for a big 4x4

This may vary for you lot with your D4D engines, but with my colorado (1kzte engine) I find cruising at 80mph I have the same MPG figures as crusing at 60mph. Now my theory is when cruising at 60mph it's just kicked into 4th gear and the engine is labouring a bit as it's around 2000 revs. Whereas at 80mph it's doing about 2600k revs and the engine momentum and higher torque works better and more efficient for the engine. I'm running oversized tyres too, but road tyres.

Its definitely a balancing act to get the best economy, something else to consider
is how drag affects the figures as the faster you go the bigger it gets which can only
mean burning more fuel

Or am i talking b******ks :)

With the newer 120 series, and the excellent auto box, it will change into 4th pus overdrive no lower than 60km/h (40 mph)
Cruise control is only able to be engaged at 40km/h.

This is around 1300 rpm, such is the torque of the newer engines.

Logic tells me that when I am cruising around 55 mph - 65 mph I am getting good fuel consumption.
By that I mean, over 30 miles per gallon.

Gra.

I still haven't taken the new Amazon on a run yet but my wife around town is getting between 19 and 20 mpg according to the comp.... :doh:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This may vary for you lot with your D4D engines, but with my colorado (1kzte engine) I find cruising at 80mph I have the same MPG figures as crusing at 60mph. Now my theory is when cruising at 60mph it's just kicked into 4th gear and the engine is labouring a bit as it's around 2000 revs. Whereas at 80mph it's doing about 2600k revs and the engine momentum and higher torque works better and more efficient for the engine.

I have found the same on mine.

I have found the same on mine.

Strangely enough I found similar results on the 3.4V6 Colorado (5VZ-FE) - there isn't much, if any, difference in the fuel consumption when doing a steady 60mph or 75mph (or anything in-between) - I always got about 23mpg on the stock tyres.

With the BL and slightly larger tyres that figure is more like 20mpg but still consistent across the speed range.

However go above that and mpg reduces to late teens, much higher and it might get low as single figures!

Last edited:
when loaded and with roof tent etc
i get about 2mpg less going at 70-75mph compared to 60mph

A Simple rant....

You do not buy a £40k+ 4x4 to worry about fuel !

Generally, across them all LC MPG is RUBBISH and if MPG is important to you then buy a Yaris !

There are just too many variables to compare, driver, tyres, tyre pressures, loads, speeds, roof loads, hills, and clearly by some comments here, some people must live in holland and never do more than 40mph! come on pull the other one.

Personally, I bought mine because it was still faster than most 4x4s fully loaded. The best fun I have is on the european motorways and catching another UK camel trophy or G4 wannabe defender loaded to the gunnels and blasting past them in a cloud of burnt hydrocarbons..

So stop fannying about, get yer foot down and stop holding up the traffic!!

You 40MPH LC's are giving t he rest of us a bad name !!

Last edited:
A Simple rant....

You do not buy a £40k+ 4x4 to worry about fuel !

Generally, across them all LC MPG is RUBBISH and if MPG is important to you then buy a Yaris !

There are just too many variables to compare, driver, tyres, tyre pressures, loads, speeds, roof loads, hills, and clearly by some comments here, some people must live in holland and never do more than 40mpg! come on pull the other one.

Personally, I bought mine because it was still faster than most 4x4s fully loaded. The best fun I have is on the european motorways and catching another UK camel trophy or G4 wannabe defender loaded to the gunnels and blasting past them in a cloud of burnt hydrocarbons..

So stop fannying about, get yer foot down and stop holding up the traffic!!

You 40MPH LC's are giving t he rest of us a bad name !!

I'll get my coat....:shhh: :lol:

So where were we lol

Are yes i remember fuel economy :)

Last edited:
Strange how easy it is for some folk to head off on a completely different tangent :(

Gra

Afraid i've been a bit slack since buying my LC and found i had two slow puntures,
the o/s/f and o/s/r, i thought it felt a bit strange so i've had them fixed, one was the valve and the other was leaking round the tyre bead.

I've just done another tankful since fixing them and setting all the tyre pressures
and its just returned 25.4 mpg (local use only) :)

Last edited:
Back