Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel line air leak

Aeroelastic

Country Flag
uk
Just thought i will share. My Prado started to struggle to fire up few weeks back when the weather got a bit colder, thought was the glow plug so check voltage to buzz bar on ignition on, Yes voltage appears for 15second.

Was a bit puzzled but kept using the car, until the starting get worse, as long as i stopped the engine for more than 10-15mins, it will take a few seconds crank to fire up. With warm engine.

Got under the car and followed the fuel line to the tank, saw the following: circled is the fuel delivery line from top of diesel tank to engine.

F9409D5C-3568-4432-ACE0-8DC1DAF57849.png

Primer in engine bay also go soft after engine stopped.

Bit the bullet and ordered a new fuel pick up from Roughtrax for £59. Toyota wanted £108+VAT. Shocking.

Drop the tank but still wasn’t 100% sure if that pipe was the culprit. Took a bit of effort to remove the tank due to rusty bolts. Tank down;

3FD6A609-77DC-4E94-8EDF-8F739084DD6B.jpeg

And new pick up installed:

514941D5-E487-4849-B32B-CAD92CBFD6C7.jpeg

Putting the tank back is a struggle as i work on the ground (no lift), but with my teens son help managed to get it back. 2 learning points:

1. Line up the fuel filler tube (the big one you fill diesel in) while lifting the tank in place as it is a hard line, No adjustment. We managed to bolt the tank strap back then realised that this hard pipe was out of alignment with the steel section coming down from the filler hole. Drop tank again!

2. Get longer bolts for the fuel straps, these are a pig to thread back in as the straps moved/bent slightly. Use the longer bolt to thread the strap in, tighten the bolt so strap is up against chassis, then loosen and replace with the original shorter bolt.

Dip the rusty pipe into a bucket of water and blow one end and block the other, voila, bubbles appear at rust area in my first photo, cant tell by just looking at the pipe.

Just some sharing if you need to do yours.

Car fires up first crank now.

Last edited:
That's a pretty common pipe to fail. I had to do mine on my 90 too few yrs ago. Them tank strap bolts are a fecker all right.
You should have painted your tank when you had went to the trouble of removing it.

Good shout about painting the tank, might be a task for the summer month… i have removed my tow bar for the time being, as 2 of the tank protection bolts are behind the tow bar frame. So shouldn’t take me that long now if i was to remove again…

Same problem here I think, just got a new pickup from RoughTrax, will get this fitted along with some other work. Watch this space.....
Good info Aero

Yep. Same problem and same fix. A new dip tube assy from roughtrax fixed the starting problem

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back