Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel tank mounting:

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
On the way home with my 'new' 2001 1HD-FTE 100-series I decided to fill the tank (in for a penny . . .).

I now find that the tank is leaking from somewhere along the top edge.

The feed & spill-return pipes look fine but I can't see what's going on up there.

The parts diagram isn't very helpful but it appears that the tank is held in place by the tank guard which is, itself, held by a couple of straps.

Is this true or can I remove the guard without 200 lbs of tank and diesel landing on my chest ???

I really ought to get out and burn-off the diesel, but I have a brake warning light to resolve . . .

Is there any access to the top surface of the tank from under the (very clean & beige) carpets and floor as that may confirm that the connecting rubber tubes have perished.

One day it will be all sorted!

Bob.

Bob is there no a drain plug on the tank i know the 90 had one :icon-idea:

On the 80's there was an inspection plate beneath the rear seats and under the carpet that gave access to the top of the tank and the pump, don't know if they kept that in place for the 100's.

There is an inspection plate under the rear seat, under the carpet. I've never been there myself, but so I've been told.

There is an inspection plate under the rear seat, under the carpet. I've never been there myself, but so I've been told.

AH-HA! Good, I'll start lifting the carpets and have a look. Thanks for that.

I believe there is a drain plug on the tank - but I've no-where to put 95 litres of diesel :icon-rolleyes:.

I took it for a spin today in order to warm it up before changing the oils. Its going well and just rumbles along a 2,400 RPM while doing 70 on the Motorway :icon-biggrin:. It has the 4-speed Autobox with Overdrive.

I have drained and filled the Autobox twice now (as I only get 4.5 litres out of the bottom whereas its actually holding around 13 litres). The ATF looks OK, just slightly dark now.

The engine oil was as black as your hat and hadn't been changed for a while. 12 litres later its a lot better.

Transfer box and diffs were done with 80W90, the stuff that came out looked old. Not surprising really as the bash protector bolts were seized and half of them sheared off despite being soaked in penetrating oil. I spent a day drilling out and tapping the mountings. They now have stainless 8mm setscrews soaked in anti-seize paste :thumbup:.

At the end I had filled my 25 litre waste oil container so emptied it into the Farm's 250 gallon recycling tank. BP Grangemouth will collect it one day. A very useful facility that :icon-wink:.

I must get the AirCon re-gassed, its not working :icon-rolleyes:.

I'm gradually getting to know it.

Bob.

Back