Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fun, fairly easy lanes or off road sites around Aylesbury?

Whaddon c'est magnifique - doesn't need a full day unless you wanna watch people getting stuck. We spent 3 hours there and covered pretty much everything that could be covered in a mildly modded daily driver, plus watched a few people getting stuck, including an Isuzu Trooper that had bedded its axles in mud. It was being winched out by a 15,000lb winch on a snatch block, anchored to a defender 110, anchored to a disco, anchored to another disco, anchored to a ground anchor :shock: I kid you not :shock: Gotta praise the japanese engineering, as it didn't leave its axles in the mud - I'm sure a LR would have :p

I had a go at crossing a ditch that I was only 20% sure I would make, it hadn't been attemted by anyone else but it would have made a great shortcut if I could do it, so I tried...and failed...and had to find help. The nose and front wheels were buried under a load of slop, and whenever I tried to reverse out the back just swung round towards the ditch, eventually leaving me precariously close to tipping. So then, help, in the form of the only vehicle playing close by... A suzuki SJ :| :oops: Still, we made his day by having him snatch while I reversed, and the LC popped free of its suction on the first attempt.

Now I had to find a way to redeem myself, and what better way to do it than by dragging a camel defender 110 out of a mud run ;) The owner suggested I try snatching first - on his tired webbing strap. After asking him if he was sure I promptly snapped the loop off one end, without moving his 110 more than an inch. Take two, I took up the slack slowly then gently applied the power, and without even a hint of wheelspin we slid him free of the mud run's grasp :mrgreen:

Not been to a playday in over 4 years, and I didn't realise I'd missed it quite so much! Next chance I get I'll have to get back up to Parkwood Off Road at Tong in W.Yorks, IMO the king of off road centres in the UK (cue the 'cloggers rebellion - I've never been to Scotland, that's my excuse)

Pics/vids will be up as soon as Laura uploads them, so don't expect them :p

Thanks for all the help with this guys, Laura's brothers had a great time, I gave them both a little drive too which they thoroughly enjoyed (insurance not an issue on this site), and now the eldest (Tom, 13) tells me he wants an SJ for his first car :roll: well, we all have to start somewhere, and that's where I started :)

Jim.

Thanks for the update Jim, sounds like you had a nice day indeed. I might venture up there one weekend with the boys to have a go.

Back