Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Garmin Montana 650/t

iceman

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi Gents new to navigation and have just read Olazz post on Dezl 760, so totally confused now. I really need a off-road sat nav which can be updated with free mapping. I was looking at the Montana 650t (topo) but its the best part of £500 and only 4 inch display. But does have aa battery alternative. Let me have your thoughts please.

I use the 650 and it's great in that you can load multiple maps and use it in multiple modes. Screen may be a bit small but functionality is great.
The Dezl also looks good though so depends on what you want I guess.

Gary did you get the topo maps are they any good?

Also how compatable is it with free mapping, I'm assuming because its got SD card slots it will accept alternative freesource mapping without problem?

I've used some Garmin maps, the Olaf map and T4A maps. As long as you can get a nap in Garmin format it'll run it. ThecSD card option is great - 64gig of maps on-board and you choose which ones to use ...

I have a Montana and its great iirc I paid less than £500 a few years ago so shop around, mine didn't come loaded with maps which may explain the price difference. Overall very pleased with it. The option to use AA's and ability to use as a hand held unit makes it versatile if you want to go off for a hike or use it around town on foot. For me to use mostly for overlanding these two features were extra positives (I had a car with built in nav at the time so didn't need it for uk driving). Another factor for me was the Montana ability to do point to point navigation which some dedicated car units can't do.

I've loaded mine with Olaf, OSM and garmin European navigator but now only really use the OSM and Olaf mapping

The only thing I would prefer is a bigger screen size

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
worth noting that the Montana does not have built in speakers so for turn by turn voice instructions you need the garmin car mount or attach speakers via the headphone jack

Oh and mine is the 600 so no camera, you can pick these up for around £300

I have a Montana and its great iirc I paid less than £500 a few years ago so shop around, mine didn't come loaded with maps which may explain the price difference. Overall very pleased with it. The option to use AA's and ability to use as a hand held unit makes it versatile if you want to go off for a hike or use it around town on foot. For me to use mostly for overlanding these two features were extra positives (I had a car with built in nav at the time so didn't need it for uk driving). Another factor for me was the Montana ability to do point to point navigation which some dedicated car units can't do.

I've loaded mine with Olaf, OSM and garmin European navigator but now only really use the OSM and Olaf mapping

The only thing I would prefer is a bigger screen size

I have a Montana also, do you have a link for this? (yes I'm looking for the easy option)....TA

I wouldn't worry about the 650 - the camera is pretty useless. Certainly not as good as a mobile phone or a dedicated D-SLR or decent compact.

I use the automotive mount in the truck and a rugged mount on the bike, with a wired in Bluetooth sender unit to send voice directions to my helmet. Works perfectly.

I have a Montana also, do you have a link for this? (yes I'm looking for the easy option)....TA

Olaf Maps - http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html old not updated not routeable but otherwise very good

OSM - http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ new, constantly updated, routable and more accurate - but doesn't have all the pistes yet in Morocco

can't remember where I got the garmin navigator from probably a dodgy download site.

The OSM maps are great, just select the country you want from the dropdown or custom build by selecting the maptiles

Sat Nav.jpg
MY toys have arrived

Hooray. Always good when toys arrive.

Now to get the hang of BaseCamp, which is a whole new ballgame ....

Enjoy

I find mapsource easier to use than basecamp although it is the old software

Last edited:
will BaseCamp be able to import gpx files?

Yes absolutely. Its quite clever really - which is possibly it's problem. It seems to take an awful long time to learn how to use it - you Need to really work through the training vids and a lot of info on YouTube - which is all useful stuff. Don't be disheartened though - just persevere ;)

Yes absolutely. Its quite clever really - which is possibly it's problem. It seems to take an awful long time to learn how to use it - you Need to really work through the training vids and a lot of info on YouTube - which is all useful stuff. Don't be disheartened though - just persevere ;)

TA.....

Back