Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Garmin vs TomTom vs ?

Sam

Garage
I'm on the lookout for some kind of navi type aid.

My current TomTom is good but trembles when you head too near the watery boundaries of our great isle.

From what I can gather the Garmin vs TomTom debate is much like the PC vs Mac... but does anyone have any actual real advice on what's best (or important differences)... or maybe a different option I haven't considered?

My first need is something that will help get me through France, over the bumpy bits of the Pyrenees and across the top, then down, back over the bottom and up through Spain - more bumpy bits and home.

I will of course be taking maps... but they're more for when you're planning to avoid (or getting out of) trouble really.

Look at the Garmin Montana 650 - great bit of kit, replaces the favourite GPSMap 276c

Also look at some of the other threads here about using an older gps and a laptop with maps - one of Jons threads ...

Looks very nice... £500 squids... eek... hmmm...

... and sorry, only just noticed the Navigation forum. No excuse. :doh: Quick.. delete post?? ;)

Lol. You can find the Montana for much closer to £400. Still expensive ...

I only very recently did this ponder myself :think: :)

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13068

sae70 said:
Well I took the plunge yesterday in Halfords after speaking to a couple of very knowledgeable lads :D

Went in to buy a TomTom Go 820 and came out with a Garmin NuVi 1490LMT for many reasons but the main one being that when you go to the enter a postcode the page that the numbers and letters are on is the same page so you don't have to keep scrolling between pages to enter address information as you do with a TomTom :D :D It was also a good price and has the Lifetime Free Maps and Traffic, Bluetooth hands free, 5" screen and it's black the same as the interior in my Passat :D :D

I'll let you know how I get on with it, but so far I'm very impressed. I spent an hour or so last night driving around my local town entering destinations from one end of town to the other with house numbers and even driving in the opposite direction than the thing was trying to take me and it pulled me up right next to the correct numbered house each time and even told me what side of the road it would be on in relation to my direction of travel :D :D :thumbup:
I'm pleased to say that I'm very pleased with it and use it all the time much to my families disgust!!!!

It has Euro mapping on it and when I registered it the Euro mapping was all updated to the latest edition, I've even had a chance to use the re-route function due to the Traffic thingy saying that the world had ended on the road ahead and it worked very very well. I'd say that it's well worth a look for the money.

PS - Best place that I found to have a play with them all was Comets as that have a good 6/8 units out on display for fingering where as Halfords have two!! And they are both TomToms :|

Any Q's please ask :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back