Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

General Grabber AT - effect on mpg

Beefbeefbeef

Country Flag
uk
I just replaced the old tyres with Grabber ATs all round. The previous owner had 2 x half terrains on the front and 2 x Lassa ATs at the rear!

It is early days but I reckon my mpg is down 7.5%-ish compared to the above set-up which was 2 x AT and 2 x HT. So maybe it's down 15%+ from what I might get with 4 x road tyres!

What loss of mpg are others experiencing?

Haven't really noticed a massive difference with on my 95 to be honest.

I think the usual rule of thumb is approx 10% loss going from HT to AT tyres.

However IMO GG AT2 and BFG ATs are probably towards the more aggressive end of the AT tyre spectrum and the losses my be a bit higher.

I went from Dunlop AT20/21s all round on my 95, which were/are the OEM fitment and averaged around 22mpg consistently for over 50k/6 years. I've since moved to Hankook RT10's which are probably in the middle of the AT spectrum in terms of tread pattern and I now get roughly 20mpg for the last 20k or so.

However I did move up a size - from 265/70 to 265/75 which is a rolling radius increase of around 3.5%, so that does offset the lower MPG very slightly.

If you go for muds, then your losses may be greater - though I've heard good things about the BFG KM2s in that respect.

Last edited:
I went from 275/70/16 mitchelin syncrones to the same size maxxis, the former gave me 22 mpg on average, the latter give me 18 - 19 mpg & a bit less than that in the really cold weather.

Back