Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

General Grabber AT or similar road biased ATs

Rob

Garage
My dad currently has Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weather in 255/65/17 on his Navara and is sick and tired of getting punctures all the time from glass/screws etc. outside work. Seeing as these tyres are not exactly cheap I have suggested that he gets an all terrain for the same or less money in a larger size as they will probably last longer and will probably puncture less frequently. I was thinking 265/70/17 as it seems quite common and looking around the new General Grabber AT has my attention as they are cheaper than what he has already. Seeing as most of his use will be on road I would not recommend the AT2 or BFGs as they are more expensive and will probably have a larger impact on fuel consumption. Does anyone know if the General Grabber ATs will be less prone to punctures than a road tyre? Are there any other tyres that I should consider that are tougher than your average tyre and are less than £150 fitted? Toyo open country maybe? Or should he just get the cheapest road tyre possible as these tyres wont reduce the amount of punctures he is getting? :think:

Could he not put that self sealing 'gunk' that Chris uses in the tyres Rob?? I know Crispin had a bad episode with it when he used it but most folk who use it seem to be happy with it...

Hi gents,

I have a full set of the General Grabbers AT2's.

Theve been puncture-less for over 8000 miles and done a trip to Libya and back as well.

Good as gold with lower noise levels than the BFG's.

Depending on majority use I would certainly recommend them.

We done West Wales Green Laning around Strata Florida recently and even the shale razor sharp rocks couldn't damage these bad boys!! :thumbup:

Just watch the side walls!! :shhh:

Hope this helps

GDS

Was going to say the same. OKO tyre sealant but I use the agricultural porridge coloured stuff not the pink. Never ever had a problem. I would fit BFG ATs and sealant and expect to drive twice around the World. For some situations, I would not say that the AT on an 80 was the best choice. On a Colorado, I think it is better actually. Let's say for mixed terrain. On the 80 it's possibly a little too road biased for max grip in tricky conditions, but it's not bad. But for mostly tar, I would say it's the business. Strong, quiet, economical with 100k miles of tread. I would like another set if I could afford them. Mine have really just bitten the dust due to age.

Chris

We have the 275/70/16 (I think) sized BFG AT's on our Colorado & they're great :mrgreen:

If I could find a set in Muxley's shoe size, I would consider some for him too :shifty:

I have 265/75 GG AT2's on my Colorado and had my first twitch, in about 12 months, on ice with them this morning. They were great in the snow last year. Very happy with them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the responses guys. I not entirely convinced if the sealant will seal against screws/nails/glass? If so is it worth getting a tougher AT tyre just tyre for puncture resistance or should he just use the sealant in road tyres?

As I said earlier he will not be using it offroad so I would rather recommend that he goes with road biased ATs like the General Grabber AT or Toyo open country. BFG AT are very expensive and the General AT2 is more of a traditional AT tyre and will not preform as well on the road as the new General Grabber AT.

Hi Rob
My parents had the new gg at's fitted to their disco and had no probs. they seem tougher than a normal road tyre and are just as quite too.

Joe

I not entirely convinced if the sealant will seal against screws/nails/glass?

It will.

It is designed PRECISELY to deal with screws and nails. It can hand;e holes up to 10mm. OK a massive slash in the tyre wall is not going to within the scope of the goo, but leaking beads, valves etc are no problem and typical tread punctures just don't leak at all. I have said to people in the past, just carry one bottle. If you get a puncture like this, whip out the valve, pour in 500ml, put the valve back in and inflate. As you drive away the hole will seal. Easier than having to take the wheel off in some dodgy situation somewhere.

Chris

OK I'm convinced about the sealant. Will probably advise a 2 pronged approach to this problem, road biased ATs with sealant. Thanks guys :thumbup:

Back