Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting a deeper more powerful sounding exhaust note .

Shayne

Guru
I'm looking at Flowmaster silencers or mufflers as Americans call them . I don't think they sold the 90 series in the USA but they do offer mufflers for a 1996 Toyota Tacoma . The only measurement they state 2.25 which i assume is the diameter of pipe in pipe out it accepts .

Would this fit a 1996 swb 90 without to much trouble ?

From memory when I made Lil Blue's exhaust, the dia of the section was 2.25". I had to space it a little to fit 2.5" pipes on there.

Chris

Cheers Chris i didn't want to contact them while being way off the mark is all .

Flowmaster or Magnaflow ..... any opinions ?

Shayne,

Nearest equivalent vehicle in the US is (I think...) the 4Runner. Std was 2.5" OD (2.5" ID on Muffler) on exhaust pipe. WASP have Dodge Flowmasters in stock apparently: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flowmaste...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c70a31f2. You will need the 'staggered' inlet/outlet to match (nearly) the original offset of your mid silencer - & maybe a length of extension pipe as the flowmaster should be shorter than stock Toyota (certainly on LWB - not sure on SWB).

Hope this is of use. Much cheaper alternative may be: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...&_nkw=turbo+muffler+2+1/2"&_sacat=0&_from=R40 6 choices here!

NB: Have used Thrush mufflers on 350 Chevy, 440 Chrysler & 350 Pontiac V8s & all sound good but not deafening drone on motorway.

Cheers,

Euan

Last edited:
Thanks Euan i lent my truck to a mate today so i can't get under it to have a look or take any measurements the Thrush sounds good on google vids but its likely shipping will make it only slightly cheaper than magniflow which is stocked in Europe . Google vids also suggests to me magniflow sounds better than the flowmaster .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Surely thats gonna cost Chas ? And i'm baffled how to explain the sound i want ........... erm .......... brum brum lol

I spoke too soon , just had a good look at thier website and its worth popping in before i order something from half a world away .

Thanks Chas :clap:

Last edited:
Surely thats gonna cost Chas ? And i'm baffled how to explain the sound i want ........... erm .......... brum brum lol

My 3" system, one big box, side exit in front of rear wheel, about three years ago cost £480 IIRC, maybe you could take a soundtrack of the sound you like so he could hear it.

EDIT.
Behind rear wheel not in front :doh:

Last edited:
I'm not looking to wake the nieghbours i would just like are more distictive sound which suggests the truck has more power than it really has . The Mufflers i've been looking at would cost around a 100 quid .

Mine does have a nice tone, makes you boot it and open the window when you go through tunnels :whistle: but a muffler for £100 sounds good to. :thumbup:

Was the £480 for a full system ?

Theres nothing wrong with my exhaust , in fact its in good nick , i just can't help thinking my truck should sound as mean as it looks :icon-biggrin:

Yes it was for the full system.

Prospeed sounds promising then coz Magniflow want around £300 for cat converters , full system is prob £500 , so maybe prospeed can knock up a muffler for £100

Prospeed sounds promising then coz Magniflow want around £300 for cat converters , full system is prob £500 , so maybe prospeed can knock up a muffler for £100

Mine was for the diesel, no cats, Charlie makes his own mufflers and packs them according to what sound you want.

Why not just cut out the big box altogether? I did this on my 2.5" system - it was significantly louder and sounded quite good when you gave it a boot full. My 3" system now has a very free flowing muffler (my wife can stick her arm through it) and it is much quieter than the 2.5" with only resonator.

When Charlie did mine I asked for it to be no louder than standard, it isn't but it has a lovely throaty sound.

Why not just cut out the big box altogether? I did this on my 2.5" system - it was significantly louder and sounded quite good when you gave it a boot full. My 3" system now has a very free flowing muffler (my wife can stick her arm through it) and it is much quieter than the 2.5" with only resonator.

I considered removing the silencer but i'm inclined to think the resulting sound suggests you need your exhaust fixed rather than anything else . I wonder if i could get the packing out of my silencer thus turning it into an echo chamber instead . I like an exhaust to sound like the gases are under extreme pressure and a tuning shop somewhere has tried its very best to silence the roar without much success .

Prospeed didn't even want to discuss a muffler it was 270 for a side exit rear end or 400 and something for the 3 inch full exhaust ........... TEMPTATION !

Damn if there was actually anything wrong with my standard exhaust it would be a no brainer but 400 quid to sound nice seems a bit extreme .

I've chopped the big centre box out of my 80 and replaced the tailpipe with a bit of 3" stainless pipe. Sounds fantastic,a bit louder than standard al.ost a v8 bellow when under load at WOT.

Back