Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting a deeper more powerful sounding exhaust note .

Shayne,

This: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-T...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac0ff291d is under £50 delivered from what used to be John Woolfe Racing - have dealt with them before & found them good to deal with.

I have something similar (generic & brought over from US in hand baggage several years ago) on mine & sounds good but not deafening/blown silencer noise.

Only had the one mid box on my FX (no rear silencer) so less to chop around. Just seems a much cheaper option to try.

Last edited:
I considered removing the silencer but i'm inclined to think the resulting sound suggests you need your exhaust fixed rather than anything else . I wonder if i could get the packing out of my silencer thus turning it into an echo chamber instead . I like an exhaust to sound like the gases are under extreme pressure and a tuning shop somewhere has tried its very best to silence the roar without much success .

I had done this originally & it ended up getting too much interest from VOSA at Ross on Wye (accelerating hard past depot = not too smart :oops:), hence fitting 'turbo' muffler...

Cheers Euan i think i will get under it and work out what i can do with a couple of those flexi pipes and one of the mufflers you posted .

I've lost one of those little plastic strips that go between the body and the wheels arch - £22.50 each Toyota want ! ....... for a poxy bit of draft excluder !

Last edited:
Cheers Euan i think i will get under it and work out what i can do with a couple of those flexi pipes and one of the mufflers you posted .

Shayne, asy you're removing the mid-box & replacing with a shorter one, yo may want to check 'sideways measurement' (i.e. offset) of inlet pipe to outlet pipe of your original silencer & try to get a replacement with roughly the same offset. Also, rather than flexi, you may want a length of something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jetex-Uni...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d3cc10492

or this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jetex-Uni...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d3b7de25c

(both were cheapest I could find quickly inc postage)

Depending how (forward or back) you want the muffler to sit depends on which end you use the flare over the original pipe & how much yo cut it down - you don't want to add in any more flex as you'll need to clamp it all up tight. Don't forget exhaust paste & 3 clamps as well (says me teaching granny to suck eggs...:whistle:)

PS: I'll send you my bill later :lol:!

Last edited:
Don't worry about teaching me to suck eggs i'm an amatuer when it comes to 4 wheels ...... which reminds me , i've got a GSXR 750cc Streetfighter stored somewhere with with a race exhaust that will make your blood run cold . wonder if i could swap the back box for a bike race can ? and where the hell did i leave the bike :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ID of Gixer can would only be about 50mm (2") as I recall... don't strangle it now! Remember, you can make anything fit with a big enough hammer...

Besides, didn't someone on here once say "If you can fix it with Duct Tape & a Hammer it's mechanical, needing WD40 means it's electrical"

I had a Harley Davidson a few years ago - stage 1 tune with turn out straight through pipes - didnt go, didnt stop, didnt go round corners, but Oh the sound! I could set off car alarms down the high street at 25mph and a quick 'blip' lol

Steve

Not sure Euan i'm thinking the downpipes were near enough 2" ?

Steve i once rode a custom chop and i don't mind tellin ya it terrified me like 140mph on the TT course with the roads open never did . I felt like i was sitting in an armchair with my feet up while the world passed my by at speed , all the while i was praying there were no corners on the horizon !

OK the back box is roughly 23.5 inches by 12 by 7.3 . And the offset is roughly 2" difference in height and width . If i simply removed the back box and bridged the gap with pipe and flexi hose i could cut off the last 16 inches of the tail pipe and put a short straight muffler in there
.(it has a small second silencer there already) .

Looking at the options and parts i'd say it's gonna cost 200 quid and lots of messing about to put a bodge job exhaust together that will prob cause more grief than its worth and i've just found out i'm on a very limited timescale again . If i remember the convo with Prospeed correctly its 270 for a 2.5 rear section side exit exhaust or 400+ for a full 3" .

Cheaper option means i will never go 3" so i think i either bite the bullet or leave things well enough alone .

Is it really worth it ?

Why not just put in the JWR muffler in place of original & cut the section which goes over the rear axle to give yourself a side exit system? A hanger or 2 from local \exhaust centre shouldn't hit you for more than a tenner - hey ho, job done for about £70 ish... Gives you time to plan for Prospeed etc at a later date.

Makes sense if cost was the issue but its not . I'm thinking either do it once and do it right or leave it be . Just seems a lot of money to spend on something i don't actually need .

When I built my zorst for Muxley, my 80, I picked up a stainless box built to my spec from PECO for £40.00

They were going to do a full stainless system for our Colorado for under £300 but I never got round to doing that - or haven't yet anyway.

They're up in Birkenhead.

Cheers

Back