Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

got a problem i think

ratrace

Country Flag
uk
LC 3.4 Petrol Colorado VX Auto

Have not been on the motorway with old girl for about a year only use it are town

On the motorway it takes ages to get in top gear

40 mph....2000 rpm
60 mph....3000 rpm
80 mph... 4000rmp

Any idea would help?

the only i have is PWR button which is off
When its on the dash display says ECT PWR
As far as i can see there is no overdrive button

Well I've just checked on my V6 and there is an O/D button on the gear lever. It keeps it out of O/D when you press it. I think it is a feature on all auto Collies. This might not be your problem but its just a suggestion.

guess what you are right, i forgot all about one on the gear stick, this what happens when you driver so many different cars and lorries

Also my age is getting to me i think (and 1st granchild)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
so on the motorway it should be off and around town should be on

Leave overdrive on all the time unless you want the (slightly) lower ratio.

There is also a amber telltale lamp on the bottom row of the instrument binnacle - which lights up when you switch overdrive off.

With it on, you should be doing around 2500rpm at 70mph.

With it on, you should be doing around 2500rpm at 70mph

with it on and the light is off on the dash i am doing 3500 rpm at 70 mph thats the problem i have

Try switching it in and out at 40 or above and you should feel/hear it kick in and out.

You should also get lock up of the torque converter after that which should drop the revs slightly so if you count gears, with a 3 speed plus OD box it should seem like 5 gears.

Try switching it in and out at 40 or above and you should feel/hear it kick in and out.

You should also get lock up of the torque converter after that which should drop the revs slightly so if you count gears, with a 3 speed plus OD box it should seem like 5 gears.

i will give that a go at the weekend, got centre dash putting a new radio/dvd/sd card/usb and gps unit in

ok still the same
took it out for a 10 mile drive on the m25 and still the same problem
try press the overdrive a few times at 40 mph and could not hear any clicking noise

Last edited:
You won’t hear a click, but you’ll hear the engine change revs and see it drop on the Rev counter and feel the change.

It’s beginning to sound like the button is working the light but beyond that you have no overdrive. That could be anything from a broken wire, corroded connector to a bad valve in the gearbox. If it was an 80 there would be a test that shows a light but beyond checking connections I’m running out of help on 90s.

but you’ll hear the engine change revs and see it drop on the Rev counter and feel the change.

No changes in the revs at all

started to think a garage will be my next port of call as gearbox is a bit out of my know how to fix

The gearbox itself could well be fine. If you take it to a garage I’ll wager they will throw new parts at it until you or your wallet says stop, or they actually find what’s wrong with it. There’s a fair amount of peripheral items that can be checked fairly readily before looking at the gearbox. Not sure if @Chris has had dealings with 90 auto boxes or whether @Beau would have any info. A FWM with wiring diagram and control box locations plus troubleshooting guide would be my next port of call in your shoes. The diagnostic is probably quite useful, just don’t assume if it says a solenoid is gone that it’s not wiring or a connector.

Just as a recap, this was working fine, local journeys for about a year then you’ve noticed it misbehaving. In that year, did it have anything g happen that could have dislodged or damaged any wiring underneath or under the dash?

Just as a recap, this was working fine, local journeys for about a year then you’ve noticed it misbehaving. In that year, did it have anything g happen that could have dislodged or damaged any wiring underneath or under the dash?

has done no trails or lanes with any water/mud

only centre console has been remove to fit new radio but it was happening before that

but will look around south essex to see if i can get help with problem

Last edited:
My garage man says he cant do it for a week or so but he say there is a sensor on the side of the gearbox that might be at fault also same as on here check the wires as well

A female call Lou pop in from work today and said it might be the gearbox oil was overfill,
she took the old girl out and was gone a while, when she return she said it was fine but it took about 15 miles on the motorway before it work ok. Lou says she check gearbox oil after about 45 mins and it is overfill, so it might be that the gearbox temp might not be getting hot enough to make the O/D work early. So when its cool down with take the oil out and fill to the correct level

60 mph....3000 rpm......now 2250rpm
What do think

Nice one Lou!

If it’s overfull then how did it get to be overfull? If it was overfilled then sucking a bit out with a syringe and long clean tube would be a good idea to get it to the right level. The test is, once up to temp leave the engine running, cycle through all gears then place in park and check the dipstick.

The ATF doesn’t need to be hot for the OD to work AFAIK. Check the colour of the ATF and monitor it’s height. If it looks anything but red and increases in height it could be getting water in from a leak on the radiator as the transmission fluid is cooled through a section in the bottom of the rad.

Back