Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Greetings from Argyll,Scotland

smiffysmc

Garage
Greetings.

Names Fraser Smith and i'm looking for a SWB Cruiser. Gave up lookin for a SWB 3lt 70 Series,so now looking at 90 Series.

Current daily driver is a 1996 Surf 3rd Gen,2" lift and 265 75 16 KL71's....oh,and a twin tank (100lt) Veg System. :thumbup:
Off Roader is a 54 plate Winch Challenge Jimny. Big lift,big tyres,front and rear winches,external cage etc etc etc.

The Jimny is set up for off roading so on road it's a wee bit 'vague' to drive,the Surf is just a bit big and heavy for what i want to do off road.

So the plan is.........sell everything and get a SWB Colorado/Prado....mind you i favour the imports,the Surfs my 3rd,but i think finding a Prado with rear difflock is a bit of a mission. Think this would be a fine balance between the two trucks i have just now.
Maybe get some 33's (ish) on a LC90 and a winch on front and i'd be happy. Will be boring you all with stupid questions soon !!!

Cheers.

You might be in luck, one has come up on here today.

Welcome by the way :thumbup:

Welcome Fraser, always nice to add another to the fraternity...What sort of figure would you be looking at for the surf as I may be in the market for one very soon. Had one a couple of years back and miss it like mad for space and on the road the road

(Ducking for the stones(Did someone say Jahova))
Anyway...Welcome and can't wait to see you in the colo forum.
Any questions Feel Free

Well that sounds like a plan. May I ask why specifically a SWB?

If you want it for off road, you might consider the base model. An FX or similar. They come without the plastic arches. This is a significant advantage when it comes to damage limitation and making bumpers etc

Chris

Hi,thanks for the welcome. The reason a SWB is the wheel base :lol: lighter more agile and easier to shunt round trees,rear overhang etc. Plus it'd be easier to stick a full exo cage on. My first surf was a 2.4 which I raised 5 inch,set of 33's,made a winch bumper,rock sliders etc. Must have weighed 3 ton and liked trees! Ha. Not got the surf up for sale yet. Just doing some research and picking some brains on here. You gettin rid of your SWB or this an addition to the yota family? I do love my 3rd gen. The size is great and handles well on the road considering the lift and tyres plus the free/cheap veg fuel I get is a huge bonus. :) The Jimny excells off road,in fact the best off roader i've ever had. But it's a bit special. Just not practical on road. Will try and get some pics on later :?

Welcome Smiffy

Recognize you from www.hiluxsurf.co.uk - where i used to "reside" when i had a 4runner,
And i have enjoyed reading your build projects

now enjoying the Colorado.
4runner was good, the colorado is better though!

good luck with the landcruiser hunt!
Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AndyCook said:
Welcome Smiffy

Recognize you from http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk - where i used to "reside" when i had a 4runner,
And i have enjoyed reading your build projects

now enjoying the Colorado.
4runner was good, the colorado is better though!

good luck with the landcruiser hunt!
Andy

Alright Andy,hows things? Seen the pics of your build,lookin' good :thumbup: Got some research to do and see about sellin' a few things to raise the Colorado fund. :) The Jimnys co owned with my mate that moved to the Borders,so will need to sort things out with him as well.

Jimny.....

DSC00277.jpg

DSC01478.jpg

Surf.....

205487_10150209156284002_764629001_8100817_1465225_n.jpg

The family........................... :)

321098_10150339143444002_764629001_9348377_1290020_n.jpg

After the Cruiser hunt, it ends here.

With the arrival of my daughter the goal posts moved again!!

Now have Ecomans 80 in the driveway. Something big enough to be practical and something big enough to be impractical. Ha. :thumbup:

Awesome. Treat it well.

I would like a SWB 90 please, lovely an 80 just what I was after. Don't worry, you ain't the first.

Chris

i have often wondered about those little Jimnys ...
i have seen a lot of them in Japan while shopping, i like the soft top versions, how well do you know them?

welcome to the madness.

Crushers said:
i have often wondered about those little Jimnys ...
i have seen a lot of them in Japan while shopping, i like the soft top versions, how well do you know them?

welcome to the madness.

Had 3 Jimnys over the years for off roading.

In standard form, with it's light weight, coil sprung live axles, great turning radius and not forgetting how narrow the wee one is,it's a winner already. Adding a set of mud tyres will add to the surprise of how good these wee trucks are.

Suspension,mild to extreme the choice is yours.

Standard
Spring spacers and shock spacers
+" springs and shocks. These can be from +1" to +4.5".
Extra lift, body lifts are available.

When lifting a Jimny, there's things you need to consider. Do you really need it so tall? Cost?

From what I've seen, you can lift the suspension on a Jimny 2" without having to get new radius arms. A cheaper alternative if going upto 3" and above are castor correction bushes that fit into existing arms one old ones are removed.

Perhaps a combination of 2" lift and 2" body lift?

There are many lift kits available out there. From basic to the full Monty.

Tyres.

Well I had some 30" tyres on one of my Jimnys. I thought this was about the limit, as it starts to take its toll on the gearing/ clutch etc. I've seen some Jimnys on 31" though. The Jimny had a 3" lift to accommodate these.
If you wanna go bigger, you'll need to look at getting a transfer case modification. Most popular is a SJ410 box or a 413 box with 410 gears cut n welded ( rocklobster) to give extra low range and lower high range to accommodate tyres.
I have the Rocklobster conversion so I'm running just under 33's on my current Jimny. Great off road in low but still a wee bit slow on hills on the open road.

If fitting big tyres a steering damper is a must. Fitted to bolt on brackets available off the shelf. I made my brackets and fitted a LR Discovery damper.

Wheels. 15" standard, but some 16" ones with the bigger off set are a good mod. These are off a Grand Vitara and are steel.

Some good sites.

BigJimny. Lots of info on Forum and Site along with shop with goodies.

KAP Suzuki. Site for mods

Jimnybits. Er, bits for Jimnys.

Rhino Rays. Site for mods

Off road armoury. Site for mods

eBay. Ha.

Hi Smiffy,
Big welcome to the Land Cruiser family.

I am also following you here.
Caravan Talk

Proud new owner with the 80 series.

Gra.

Back