Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Greetings y’all!

Elliot

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello everyone,

I am an ancient overlander who is seeking to downsize to a smaller, lighter, more agile vehicle than my present Unimog overland truck. I once had a Prado as my daily driver, and what a terrific car that was.
Now I’m looking for a Troopy with a 1HZ engine; though happy to be told that my thinking is wrong. I don’t mind the lack of speed; the Mog only cruises at 50.
I will fabricate a fibreglass hardtop shell - don’t like the vulnerability of a pop top or roof tent - and fit out the interior for travel.
We are presently travelling through Japan in a rented camper. Odd place this!

Welcome Elliot. Sounds like a wise move to me. Good luck with the search and post a picture of the Mog when you can.

IMG_2722.jpeg
IMG_2250.jpeg
IMG_2722.jpeg

Welcome.
Love the mog. Looks like the perfect thing to fit my growing family in :)

Hello everyone,

I am an ancient overlander who is seeking to downsize to a smaller, lighter, more agile vehicle than my present Unimog overland truck. I once had a Prado as my daily driver, and what a terrific car that was.
Now I’m looking for a Troopy with a 1HZ engine; though happy to be told that my thinking is wrong. I don’t mind the lack of speed; the Mog only cruises at 50.
I will fabricate a fibreglass hardtop shell - don’t like the vulnerability of a pop top or roof tent - and fit out the interior for travel.
We are presently travelling through Japan in a rented camper. Odd place this!
Hi Elliot,
This year, I became a 1HZ owner myself (the Netherlands); more specific, a HZJ78 produced at the very end of 2006.
I've given it a build-in and had the Hercules roof conversion mounted (quite sturdy by the way); total weight all-in both tanks filled, water, two people has become 3330 kg, so well within spec.
We've given her a two months shakedown in Skandinavia, the Baltics, Poland and Germany. Didn't disappoint at all.

The main things to do based on this experience: first of all, I will have a turbocharger mounted. Just to give her a mild boost; on slopes, the engine falls short of being able to change gears without having to really rev it. Second, I'll probably have a different spring pack mounted on the rear. The car is now sagging ever so slightly, nothing really worrysome, but it does cost a little ground clearance.
Other than that the 1HZ didn't give us any problems and she was a dream to drive. Very comfortable, also on long distances. I had some in/deflatable back cushions inserted in the standard chairs, and after that they became very un-tiring.

Oh, and why do I call her 'she'? We've named her Dolly: "It costs a lot to look this cheap".
Below is a picture of Dolly and me relaxing on a deserted Soviet ICBM missile base in Estonia. We even drove right through some of the missile shelters.

Attachments

• Base.JPG
    Base.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 14
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks amazing @Volly . By way of springs, look at EFS ?
I was considering Ironman parabolics actually - they are sold nearby & done by experienced mechanics, with this actual kind of Troopy I mean.
Any special reason for selecting EFS over Ironman?

Back