Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake cable, where do i get one?

JimmyLJ71

Trying to get my LJ71 ready for the dreaded MOT, i need a new handbrake cable, been to the dealers, they want silly money, does anyone know where i can get one for a proper price?

Thanks, but it looks like its for an 80, i have sent a message asking if they have one for a 70.

JimmyLJ71 said:
Thanks, but it looks like its for an 80, i have sent a message asking if they have one for a 70.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There is no more adjustment on it, the hand brake justs flops about, you have to pull it up a fair way before it starts to tension.

what kind of state are the actual handbrake shoes in

JimmyLJ71 said:
Trying to get my LJ71 ready for the dreaded MOT, i need a new handbrake cable, been to the dealers, they want silly money, does anyone know where i can get one for a proper price?

Hi Jimmy

Have you tried:

http://www.brakesint.co.uk/index.html

Sorry I have not checked the site, but seem to do for other models

May have come up trumps with them :thumbup: , sort of, nothing for LJ71, but two for LJ70, looks like part no BHC2453 before 90 1730mm, part no BHC2454 after 90 1720mm,

Does anyone know if any of these will fit mine (LJ71), probably Roger would know, he is a man of great knowledge. :D

JimmyLJ71 said:
There is no more adjustment on it, the hand brake justs flops about, you have to pull it up a fair way before it starts to tension.

You need to check the adjustment within the drum. The system uses auto adjust and it is prone to seizing up. I suggest you apply the h/brake and then inspect the external linkage on the inside face of the backplate. If the 6mm adjuster is more than 10mm away from the backplate, you need to strip out the brakes and re-set the system after cleaning everything. The cable itself is very substantial and is unlikely to be at fault.

Roger

Many thanks for the advice Roger,

You are probably right, i need a new cable anyway, the previous owner seems to have botched something at the handbrake lever end.

Various nuts/washers etc, didn't realise until i went to a scrappy to get some other parts that there should be an adjuster there, it is completely missing!, so i am going to start from scratch, and with your advice, set it up properly.

Jim

Had my cable delivered today, looks like the right one :D

Still no adjuster though, thought it would come with it :thumbdown:

Going to have to make one up, does any one know where i can buy threaded tube?

Back