Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake shoe issue

CAT

Country Flag
ireland
Hello everyone,
I've ran into my usual maintenance issue when carrying out some work on my 90.
Ok so my passenger side bell crank seized and I went about freeing it up.
Looking at the handbrake shoes I noticed one was particularly worn compared to the other so got new shoes.
Freed up the bell crank and got everything back together.
Ok so issue is when I push on the bell crank i activate the shoes, only problem is only the shoe with the lever running to it pushes out. The other shoe seems to not even budge a mm.
I swapped around the retaining springs at the top and found that the opposite shoe now moved and the other shoe had no deflection.
Any obvious solution for me here? It feels and seems like one of the springs is too powerful and the force applied by the cable from the bell crank is not enough to move both shoes.
Hopefully I am missing something very simple here.
Many thanks in advance, hopefully the solution will come my way.
Cheers lads, Liam.

Hi Cat,if you do a quick search on here they is a topic on a modification to solve the problem and you can buy it on here it's a good peace of kit too by all accounts.il be getting some when I redo mine.

Ok so issue is when I push on the bell crank i activate the shoes, only problem is only the shoe with the lever running to it pushes out. The other shoe seems to not even budge a mm.
I swapped around the retaining springs at the top and found that the opposite shoe now moved and the other shoe had no deflection.

Hi,

The lever moves the shoe it is connected to until that shoe contacts the drum, The lever then continues to move, pushing the other shoe via the connecting plate near the top retaining springs.

When both shoes are contacting the drum the lever applies increasing force to both (it is a 'compensating' system).

you won't see the system working with the drum off !

One problem is that the connecting plate is too short and the handbrake lever mechanism runs out of movement before full force is applied. I made my plates 5mm longer (cut & welded them) and got much better results.

Bob.

Great, thanks guys, I was thinking maybe it was some sort of compensatory method that I could not see with it all back together. Incidentally I did find the thread that bob created for the modification, super work by the way Bob. Do you have any of the mod plates at all?
Thanks lads, Liam.

You found one of Bob's excellent threads any didn't resurrect it :| shame on you no sugar in your tea for at least a month :eusa-snooty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Incidentally I did find the thread that bob created for the modification, super work by the way Bob. Do you have any of the mod plates at all?

No, I'm afraid not :icon-redface:.

I did, however, buy a pair of new plates from Toyota in case my modification failed (there's confidence for you :icon-rolleyes:). The next time I've got the welder out I suppose I could modify them and have a set in hand.

It won't be soon though, I have two Transfer Boxes on the bench and a third arriving tomorrow. Then there are two BMW Motorcycle gearboxes that need re-building . . . .

Plus I'm working on my new toy :icon-wink:.

There was a thread on here about an Australian (or was it New Zealand) Co. that are producing the longer plates - maybe they will suit your purpose.

Bob.

You found one of Bob's excellent threads any didn't resurrect it :| shame on you no sugar in your tea for at least a month :eusa-snooty:

Good one Shayne :thumbup:.

Bob.

Last edited:
Have to wonder why they aren't in the permanent stickies Bob .

No, I'm afraid not :icon-redface:.

I did, however, buy a pair of new plates from Toyota in case my modification failed (there's confidence for you :icon-rolleyes:). The next time I've got the welder out I suppose I could modify them and have a set in hand.

It won't be soon though, I have two Transfer Boxes on the bench and a third arriving tomorrow. Then there are two BMW Motorcycle gearboxes that need re-building . . . .

Plus I'm working on my new toy :icon-wink:.

There was a thread on here about an Australian (or was it New Zealand) Co. that are producing the longer plates - maybe they will suit your purpose.

Bob.

Ohhhh! Whats the new toy? There is plenty of info on your thread and also I found the oz modification too so I will be able to knock something up.
Now that I think of it I am actually going to NZ for a year so I should be able to smuggle some back to Ireland, that and a new chip would be spot on!

To be honest I have found nothing but Bob threads when scrolling the interweb! Top stuff!

Ohhhh! Whats the new toy?

Ah well . . . . .

Nothing to do with Toyotas . . . .

But . . . .

Its this:

At its last home in sunny South Devon.

S156TOC%20-%20Advert-09_zpslpgsd4vw.jpg

At its new home in wet, Autumnal Scotland.

DSCN5531_zpso1b7v1yg.jpg

I have now removed the livery and am sorting out a few 'issues'. Generally its in very good condition for a 17-year-old Work Horse (99,000 miles only!).

Safety harnesses & lanyards arrived today but I need to sort an electrical fault before I start removing the dead Sycamore tree that's leaning over the farm road and threatening a neighbour's yard :eusa-whistle:.

(I've hired Access Platform lorries a few times but with all the current H&S no-one will now rent to a private individual. To get a small Contractor to turn out for a day was quoted at around £1,000 with liability insurance. This has cost me 4-days hire!).

Bob.

:clap: love the way you think you will probably sell it at a profit to :thumbup:

Back