Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Happy to join. Options and opinions on extensive rust

Mcmanus84

Hi everyone- new to the forum. Interested in seeing peoples journeys with rust

My 2005 land cruiser has substantial rust and a mechanic has actually turned down doing work on it. Another bodywork guy said it’s bad but he’s seen worse. I have a budget of 1k - 1500 to fix but seems like no one will want to touch it.. granted I’ve only asked these two fellas

I don’t mind spending a bit of money but I get really disheartened when people throw their hand up and say scrap it.

I just really want options and opinions on what I should do - enginewise all runs like clockework. I still owe £3500 on it (bought it for £5500) feeling a bit depressed and ripped off. Pics of damage for attention. Thanks for reading

EDIT removed pics apologies privacy concern as sellers number visible

Last edited:
Hi there, welcome man! I don't know what to say! Have you considered buying a welder?

It just shows how bad for the sake of a better word people are,, the seller knew for sure what condition it is in.

Too late for hindsight but have a look at welding vids on youtube and have a go at it.. :thumbup:

Hi and welcome. Yup, that looks pretty bad TBH, and as Iwan said, the seller must have known what state it was in. Was it a private sale or trade, and how long ago did you buy it? I presume you've checked out whether you have any consumer rights on this?

Without seeing the rest of it, I can't really comment on cost or the total work involved, sorry... but my gut feeling is that a pro body shop will burn through your budget extremely quickly... looks like the entire chassis may be toast.

Hi and welcome. Yup, that looks pretty bad TBH, and as Iwan said, the seller must have known what state it was in. Was it a private sale or trade, and how long ago did you buy it? I presume you've checked out whether you have any consumer rights on this?

Without seeing the rest of it, I can't really comment on cost or the total work involved, sorry... but my gut feeling is that a pro body shop will burn through your budget extremely quickly... looks like the entire chassis may be toast.
Was really hoping to stay away from legal issues. Any ideas where and whom might buy for breaking and what i could hope to recoup

Was really hoping to stay away from legal issues. Any ideas where and whom might buy for breaking and what i could hope to recoup
Just to say my health hasn’t been great so I’m more inclined to cut my losses

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is that a British registered car? It's hard to see how that has passed an MOT in the last few years. I have a 2005 I started welding about 7 or 8 years ago to get through MOTs. Generally has needed a bit doing every year. It might look that bad if I had done nothing. Everything is fixable but I reckon there'll be a lot more like that in much more awkward to see (and weld) places. Like coil spring mounts, if you have springs, cross members, rear wings where they join the floor.

Hi there, welcome man! I don't know what to say! Have you considered buying a welder?

It just shows how bad for the sake of a better word people are,, the seller knew for sure what condition it is in.

Too late for hindsight but have a look at welding vids on youtube and have a go at it.. :thumbup:
Thanks for this. I’m a bit gutted but willing to cut my losses now hopefully I can recoup something at auction

Is that a British registered car? It's hard to see how that has passed an MOT in the last few years. I have a 2005 I started welding about 7 or 8 years ago to get through MOTs. Generally has needed a bit doing every year. It might look that bad if I had done nothing. Everything is fixable but I reckon there'll be a lot more like that in much more awkward to see (and weld) places. Like coil spring mounts, if you have springs, cross members, rear wings where they join the floor.
Cheers, appreciate honesty. I had a sinking feeling. Yes Northern Ireland past mot last year with crossbar welding

Christ these 120's are a nightmare in whatever possibilities of problems! If it's not rotten then it thinks it being knicked! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Sorry to hear of your issues Mcmanus.
Yep, in the main, once you're in, you keep spending money to stay in, or gtf out.
They are a nice refined truck, but the main issues that crop up are the most expensive - if it ain't rust, it's injectors.
Mine is on the point of going back in the body shop for more rust/rot issues.

I know you said you have health issues, does your health mean you can't physically work on it yourself at all?
Can you weld? Or do you have a friend that could do the welding for you if you could prepare it to the welding stage? That would keep costs down.

I am learning to weld and just repaired a 120 that had both sills and the rear chassis cross member and rear body mounts replaced. I prepared it all myself and my friend welded all the awkward parts for me.

Personally, I reckon, with any vehicle, if it can't be done by yourself or a friend at cheap rates and has to go to a pro every time it needs something welding then it's not worth owning as paying a pro is gonna be a fortune. If it was a once off thing it wouldn't be so bad but Landcruisers of this era now need welding every couple of years especially if folk aren't rust proofing them every couple of years too.

Rates can depend if you know the pro of course.
I used to do my own welding many years ago with decent results after loads of cock ups (inevitable). I hate seeing diy work that has endless snots, poor penetration, and if they were ground off, the job would fall to bits. Shabby work alerts the mot man to look further.
I am now more than happy to leave it to the pro I know, although many are not fortunate to be in that position.

Back