Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Have you used 'Evaporust' ??

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
Just a quickie . . .

I saw this stuff advertised and thought it might be OK for a 1931 motorcycle petrol tank I am restoring:

DSCN6370_zpsuno67ifv.jpg

It sounds like one of those "Wonder Products", I'm surprised it isn't called "Acme Evaporust" :lol:.

Anyway; I am currently working on a '90' Transfer Box for a TLOC Member from the Isle of Man. This thing is used daily as his work transport and has never been off-roaded. He has had it for 10 years . . . It was full of rust:

I haven't seen a main Input Shaft Bearing like this before, you wouldn't believe what it sounds like when spun:

DSCN6357_zpsmzgdn1px.jpg

The thin steel plate that carries the Oil Pump Pick-up was also rusty all over (this isn't a good picture as it has a lot of rusty oil on it as well as the rust):

DSCN6330_zps2wsnapp1.jpg

DSCN6332_zpsr6dt0pkk.jpg

Anyway, I de-greased it thoroughly and then dropped it into a bath of "Evaporust" - and promptly forgot about it for 48 hours :icon-redface:.

The result . . . .

DSCN6365_zpsap2nvm0i.jpg

DSCN6367_zpso1k7vqji.jpg

I'm amazed :shock:.

The stuff is re-usable so it will probably end-up in the old petrol tank after all.

Bob.

P.S.: The Centre Diff was seized to the output shaft, meaning that it wasn't a 'diff' at all. When the transmission 'wound-up' the front output shaft drive chain skipped the teeth on the drive sprocket making the transmission jump. It needs all new bearings & seals plus a drive chain. It really needs a new 'High-Low' gear cluster but at over £1,000 from Toyota I think it will last a bit longer.

DSCN6276_zpspl530ruq.jpg

There's a lot of work in this :icon-rolleyes:.
B.

Just a quickie . . .

I saw this stuff advertised and thought it might be OK for a 1931 motorcycle petrol tank I am restoring:

View attachment 104077

It sounds like one of those "Wonder Products", I'm surprised it isn't called "Acme Evaporust" :lol:.

Anyway; I am currently working on a '90' Transfer Box for a TLOC Member from the Isle of Man. This thing is used daily as his work transport and has never been off-roaded. He has had it for 10 years . . . It was full of rust:

I haven't seen a main Input Shaft Bearing like this before, you wouldn't believe what it sounds like when spun:

View attachment 104078

The thin steel plate that carries the Oil Pump Pick-up was also rusty all over (this isn't a good picture as it has a lot of rusty oil on it as well as the rust):

View attachment 104079

View attachment 104080

Anyway, I de-greased it thoroughly and then dropped it into a bath of "Evaporust" - and promptly forgot about it for 48 hours :icon-redface:.

The result . . . .

View attachment 104081

View attachment 104082

I'm amazed :shock:.

The stuff is re-usable so it will probably end-up in the old petrol tank after all.

Bob.

P.S.: The Centre Diff was seized to the output shaft, meaning that it wasn't a 'diff' at all. When the transmission 'wound-up' the front output shaft drive chain skipped the teeth on the drive sprocket making the transmission jump. It needs all new bearings & seals plus a drive chain. It really needs a new 'High-Low' gear cluster but at over £1,000 from Toyota I think it will last a bit longer.

View attachment 104083

There's a lot of work in this :icon-rolleyes:.
B.
Seems good ,Bob.I'll follow with interest and see if there are more users.

Interesting Bob. Looks pretty good for surface rust.

Looks good. Will try if can find. What was the cost of that can?
Edit: Found it locally for ca 50 £ ??? - - or 150 for 19 litres...

Reminds of another wonder-cure: Baking soda and a battery charger in a bath. Seems to be just as effective. See pics here

Last edited:
Reminds of another wonder-cure: Baking soda and a battery charger in a bath. Seems to be just as effective. See pics here

Well, that looks quite impressive as well - but what did it do to the wheel bearings :icon-eek:.

I think I'd have stripped the assemblies down and only cleaned the tin parts (its a pain to draw the half shafts and then get the ABS Ring and lock ring back in the right place, but still worth doing).

I bought my Evapo-rust here:

http://www.frost.co.uk/evapo-rust-super-safe-rust-remover-3-78-us-gallon.html

Bob.

Back